Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2009 Road King Standard. Love the bike but I wonder if anyone else has, or has had, that annoying burning sholder pain? I get it after several hours and it can become out of control. The bike is stock. I have tried changing the angle of the bars. Moved them back but there was no change. Could I possibly be better off changing the bars? Maybe a back rest? Although the lower part of my back does not hurt at all. I have also read about going to the gym. I do go, three times a week and consider myself in fair shape with good upper body strength. The real question is, has anyone solved the problem for themselves? If you did, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

·
Registered
133 Posts
Change the bars i used a back rest but find it uncomfortable.. i change the bars to the heritage style and its much better for me now .. i have a RKC 08

·
Registered
57 Posts
I covered this question myself a while ago. I have a 2004 Road King Classic.... I changed out the seat for a Harley pillow top, then changed out the handlebars for mini apes that pull back more toward you...and finally..I installed highway pegs. Makes all the difference in the world! Unfortunately, you can't put risers on the King because of the cowling over the steering head, but with a few custom additions, you can certainly make things a lot easier on yourself. I found that the back rest actually made it worse than better...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I covered this question myself a while ago. I have a 2004 Road King Classic.... I changed out the seat for a Harley pillow top, then changed out the handlebars for mini apes that pull back more toward you...and finally..I installed highway pegs. Makes all the difference in the world! Unfortunately, you can't put risers on the King because of the cowling over the steering head, but with a few custom additions, you can certainly make things a lot easier on yourself. I found that the back rest actually made it worse than better...
you can put risers on a king harley makes a cover that will take risers and still mount the steering head lock now

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I have also had the burning shoulder pain for the last 10 years and found my best remedy was cruise control for long trips so I don't use my right arm as much which starts the inflammation.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I recomend getting your shoulder checked out by a Dr. make sure you're not having problem with rotator cuff. I blew mine out 3yrs. ago it gave me warning signs before it happened. Just an FYI better to be safe than sorry.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I have also had the burning shoulder pain for the last 10 years and found my best remedy was cruise control for long trips so I don't use my right arm as much which starts the inflammation.
The cruise control along with a back rest and highway pegs all of these can help a lot.
You need to experiment with all these and find out what works best for you.
The best thing I have found is to relax and not be so tense on the bars.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Guess you guys will never ride a rigid bike...lol

when my back hurts from riding I try to make it to the watering hole asap the bar maid will give ya a back rub while you get a lap dance from one of the fine waitresses and best part is you can drink your beer at the same time and no one bitchez...lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great suggestions!!!

Hi all,
I especially love the one about pulling over at the local watering hole, getting the back rub and lap dance! Gotta love that one! I have the highway pegs, they do not seem to do anything for the pain. Neither does the cruise control. I suspect the back rest might help, but only because it would force a more upright posture. I was thinking there would be more responses along the lines of handlebar swaps. The pain is a burning in the sholder blades and across the top of may back. It's the muscle for sure. If I can do this via a bar swap it would be better for me. Besides it would give me an excuse to chrome the controls, hide the wires and add braded cables! Sort of killing two issues at once. I do know many swear full apes will stop this but I am not a fan and I think they are actually illegal in Florida (not confirmed).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping.
Ed

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Had apes on my softail for a couple years and they did work well but don't think they would look good on the street glide?

Attachments

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Try stretching out before you ride get the blood flowing to the area that bothers ya.Maybe your riding all tense cause you know your back will bother you.Try to stretch and relax a little.maybe like half a muscle relaxer will help.

I know when I throw down some speeds and trying to get to my destination fast I tend to tense my jaw,clinch my teeth and dont relize Im doing it and end up with headaces.
Now I know its there and I try yo relax or just putt and (no comments guys..lol) stretch out my neck muscles and it helps a real lot. hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, more news

Hi all,
Today I was at the dealer. I managed to discover that out of 10 Road King Police models they had sitting around, all of them had reach type bars. I wonder if this is a standard thing on Police models? I sat on them. The difference is signifigant. Your arms are more at rest and you seem to assume a more natural upright posture. Likely the reason you see the Motor patrolmen sitting straight. I wonder??? So My plan is to change out the bar, install the better mounting bushings, chrome the controls, use braded lines and hide the wires in the bars. Will I be done with the bike at this point? NEVER!!! Not till the last cent!!! :coffee

Stay tuned boys and girls..

Ed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi all,
I especially love the one about pulling over at the local watering hole, getting the back rub and lap dance! Gotta love that one! I have the highway pegs, they do not seem to do anything for the pain. Neither does the cruise control. I suspect the back rest might help, but only because it would force a more upright posture. I was thinking there would be more responses along the lines of handlebar swaps. The pain is a burning in the sholder blades and across the top of may back. It's the muscle for sure. If I can do this via a bar swap it would be better for me. Besides it would give me an excuse to chrome the controls, hide the wires and add braded cables! Sort of killing two issues at once. I do know many swear full apes will stop this but I am not a fan and I think they are actually illegal in Florida (not confirmed).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping.
Ed
Apes are legal in fl.Shoulder height.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Road King bars

Either the Heritage bars or stock Police bars will help a lot. Just have the installer fit them to your liking before buttoning up the headlight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem, the first thing I did was change the handlebars so I wasn't reaching for them. This will greatly relieve that burning between the shoulders, at least it did for me.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Likely the reason you see the Motor patrolmen sitting straight. I wonder???

Ed
Naw that's how they are taught. And really posture has a whole lot to do with good riding. That and that air ride seat, I've sat one, it aint all that comfy. overall there is not a lot of "slosh around" ability on a cop bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts