Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
coyote454
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2009 Police Edition Road King, which has the 103 engine. It does not have the electronic compression release as do later models. I was considering having the S&S Easy Start cams installed (probably the 583) but was asking if anyone has used these cams.

Any goods or bads with the Easy Start cams? Thanks.:feedback:

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I have not read of any problems with the EZ start system on the cams.
It is difficult to do a compression test with them. But how often do we do that?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The centrifigal arm feature has always been on the V-Rods, and the imports have had those for a long time.
They work great.:)
Scott

·
coyote454
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the input. Seems this is the way to go to save the starter, and get a little more torque at the same time.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Had them and loved them.

·
coyote454
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick note. I've had the S&S Easy Start cams in my 2009 Road King w/103 engine for 10K miles now. Just experienced a failure, resulting in the bike not starting at all. For some reason (I'll know more when they're removed) the cams are holding the valves off the seats too long, resulting in 60-70 PSI of pressure when trying to start. The pressure is so low the ECM won't send a spark to the coil and the bike won't start.

It's been a real bear for the dealer to figure out just why the bike wouldn't start one day, would start the next, but then not again later in the day. When the bike would start it ran great!

Not sure how many miles others are getting out of their Easy Start cams, but I'd be cautious if anyone is thinking of using these.

JMHO

·
Poser Member # 99
17,966 Posts
Sounds like there might be more issues causing this or maybe just a failure it does' happen from time to time could be something else causing the no start situation . Have you resolved the issue or is the dealer still working on how experienced is the tech working on your bike. That says a lot any more if they cant fix it by throwing parts at it they cant fix it no trouble shooting Skill with the new guys . just saying
let us know what the end result is that fixes it

·
Registered
11,526 Posts
Just a quick note. I've had the S&S Easy Start cams in my 2009 Road King w/103 engine for 10K miles now. Just experienced a failure, resulting in the bike not starting at all. For some reason (I'll know more when they're removed) the cams are holding the valves off the seats too long, resulting in 60-70 PSI of pressure when trying to start. The pressure is so low the ECM won't send a spark to the coil and the bike won't start.

It's been a real bear for the dealer to figure out just why the bike wouldn't start one day, would start the next, but then not again later in the day. When the bike would start it ran great!

Not sure how many miles others are getting out of their Easy Start cams, but I'd be cautious if anyone is thinking of using these.

JMHO
Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems. My E-Z start cams ('13 103 RG) were installed at 8,200 miles, now have 25,xxx miles and no problems. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a 107 S&S with no compression releases. Never had a problem as long as I used a good battery (HiTec or Braille) with good cables, trickle charger and a good starter (All Balls). Check out the Big Dog Forum (bigdogbiker.com) as it seemed a lot of guys tried the cam route without good results .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts