Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 CVO was set up back in 07 with an SE pro tuner by Tilley's HD in NC when they added SE 10.5:1 pistons and SE 251 cams along with Rinhart tru duals. Ran fine. I seem to be running hotter now that the engine was opened up to 113". I was looking at the instructions on line for the old race tuner and it makes mention that the basis for all tuning is VE and any change in displacement should be recorded and flashed. It says that the change will adjust the whole curve. I have the software and tuner and wonder if I can just change the displacement (and rev limit - too high for me) and have the curve as it was. Same cam grind, a touch more compression. If I understand correctly, the engine now has more air flowing through it, but the ECM still adjusts for the lower air flow (VE).

Anyone with this experience?

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Meaning I read that right and need to change and reflash ECM to reflect the new displacement?

I'm thinkin' the old girl is running leaner than it used to and this will correct it with out a complete retune.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you have the cables, yes, changing the displacement will change the VE tables, you can change the rev limiter, either 6500 or 6250 should be OK (these motors are similar to a small block Chevy in stroke and bore). Then you can do some record runs to fine tune the motor.

·
American
27,314 Posts
Meaning I read that right and need to change and reflash ECM to reflect the new displacement?

I'm thinkin' the old girl is running leaner than it used to and this will correct it with out a complete retune.
Jim, just remember HD SE website is compliant to EPA and the settings will be programmed by HD..... you probably will not get AF mix to where you would like it.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim, just remember HD SE website is compliant to EPA and the settings will be programmed by HD..... you probably will not get AF mix to where you would like it.
Jeff and Slingshot,

Do I need to hook to a website? The software is on my laptop (from a CD) and I thought the tuner is what reads and changes the map. This was done in '07 and the tuner came with the bike. The only thing that concerns me so far is that when Tilley's did this back in 07 they took the maps that are logged (saved) and encrypted them. I don't have the cables yet, but wonder if they could have done something that will prevent the tuner from reading and changing the map. The map is not a canned map. It was done on a dyno. I still need to be able to read and change the map.
Will the tuner read what's on the ECM? or do I need those logged (saved) maps. I think, from all I've read so far, that the tuner should read what's on the ECM. If it won't there's no sense in buying the cables.

·
American
27,314 Posts
You may be okay then Jim if you do not have to access the HD SE website...... mine you have to, no CD in 2013.....

·
Registered
40,077 Posts
JLR, our tuners are pre EPA neutered versions. Just change your displacement and you should be GTG.

Mine is the simplest version as my bike is carbed. All the tuner does on my bike is change the rev limit and spark curve.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JLR, our tuners are pre EPA neutered versions. Just change your displacement and you should be GTG.

Mine is the simplest version as my bike is carbed. All the tuner does on my bike is change the rev limit and spark curve.

Thanks. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 07 CVO was set up back in 07 with an SE pro tuner by Tilley's HD in NC when they added SE 10.5:1 pistons and SE 251 cams along with Rinhart tru duals. Ran fine. I seem to be running hotter now that the engine was opened up to 113". I was looking at the instructions on line for the old race tuner and it makes mention that the basis for all tuning is VE and any change in displacement should be recorded and flashed. It says that the change will adjust the whole curve. I have the software and tuner and wonder if I can just change the displacement (and rev limit - too high for me) and have the curve as it was. Same cam grind, a touch more compression. If I understand correctly, the engine now has more air flowing through it, but the ECM still adjusts for the lower air flow (VE).

Anyone with this experience?
If the tuner saved the dyno tune to the VCI which lot of time they don't then you are out of luck. If it is the old Screaming Eagle Race Tuner then they quit making these in around 07 and started making the SE pro super tuner. The super tuner has DT0 extension. I believe the SERT used .MT5 or 6 which will only work with the software. The VCI also has the plugs on both sides for serial ports. Flat plug about inch long with screws to hold it in. The Screaming eagle pro super tuner had same plug on bike end and usb plug on other end that hooks to computer. If you have the old one good luck finding anyone that can help on this. TTS used to make a TTS conversion for it and could use TTS software. Don't get the Screaming Eagle Pro STREET tuner as that is only one Harley sells now and there is nothing about it that will work on your bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
--- Tilley's did this back in 2007, they took the maps that are logged (saved) and encrypted them. ---

I hate "SECRECY" --- why did Tilley's "ENCRYPT" your old MAPS ???

When I use a software CHANGER ( TUNER) I want to SAVE the OEM "MAP" on a thumbdrive (externally)

Since you are the OWNER of the BIKE ( and the COMPUTER that came with the bike)

I would want the OEM H-D Stock MAP

Just like I would want to SAVE the TILLEY's DYNO Tuned MAP, externally, on an EXTERNAL Storage DONGLE (ie: thumbdrive)

That way when you start feeding NEW information into your TUNER ... the OLD information will NOT be over-written
&
You will be able to, at the very least, get back to the starting point again, if you do NOT like the results of your most recent MAP that you are attempting to BUILD

GOOD LUCK

COOP

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You two gentlemen might have just helped with my understanding. The files are in .mt6. I have a cd with the files and they won't open in a computer. I was told shortly after I bought this that they were encrypted files. Maybe not? The files are also logged in the software in .mt6. The cables will be here tomorrow. I'll plug them in and see what comes up on the laptop screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 streetglide when purchased harley tuned it with the 32109-08c SE supertuner for the stage 1. I just installed a new cam into my bike and the guy who i might have dyno it told me this tuner wont get the power i want due to harley being sued ? Is this true do i need ti buy a new tuner? Any info much appreciated !

·
On the loose
8,712 Posts
I have a 2014 streetglide when purchased harley tuned it with the 32109-08c SE supertuner for the stage 1. I just installed a new cam into my bike and the guy who i might have dyno it told me this tuner wont get the power i want due to harley being sued ? Is this true do i need ti buy a new tuner? Any info much appreciated !
Harleys hands are tied , they had to set tuning parameters that don't violate CARB / EPA requirments , that means you can't get the performance you would if they could go outside those parameters. Look into an aftermarket tuner , Power Vision , TTS , Thundermax are all good choices , maybe check with your dyno guy , some have preferences. Unfortunately you will have to bite the bullet if you want to unlock the full potential of your cams.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you have the black Race Tuner, or the orange Pro Super Tuner, you are just fine, it will be able to tune for any combination you have, The EPA lawsuit stopped Harley from selling anymore of those units, but the ones out there and the software will still tune. Harley can only sell the Street Tuner anymore, and it is restricted as to what fuel and timing calibrations that it can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep. The orange super tuner is as good as any of them. The only problem I'm having is finding a good base map for my s&s 570s. I want to smart tune a good base map and get it close. Saves a lot of dyno time at $100/hour.
The SE 257s or 211s would be close but theres no map for those with the 103 that I see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts