Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 breakout and have been looking to raise the bars to ape hangers. curious if its worth it. if so what size has everyone been doing and what length of cable extensions do I need.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
There are a ton of threads on what size bars, what cables, blah blah blah... you just need to do a search. If you are doing the job yourself then you need to go learn how to measure your up and out and get how much over stock you need for wiring and cables. There is no such thing as cable extensions... you have to get all new cables and lines. Wiring, you will need to be able to solder. If you can't manage this, then pay someone to do it.

-Rohan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rohan

i am aware there is no such thing as cable extensions. You obviously know what I meant by saying extensions. I am asking what everyone has had luck with and the brands as far as product quality. im not worried about the soldering either.
Thanks

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
With the amount of mechanically illiterate people we get on this forum I had to clarify. Any brand is fine as far as quality. Some like Burley, some like Carlini, some people like Roland Sands, some people like the cheapest bars they can find. There are tons of options out there. Most of us on the forum did our apes ourselves and we bought whatever set or size we liked via the website or catalog. My Shovelhead has a cheap set on it and my Road King has an expensive set and there's no difference in quality other than I paid more for a name brand on my RK. Worth it? I don't know, what's your preference? For me it is because I'm 6 feet tall and I like having my hands up higher. The cool factor is there as well so for me it's worth spending the money.

Google search some Breakouts with apes an see what you personally like. I can't tell you to put 16 inch chrome Burleys on your Breakout because I don't know what your style and taste is. If you don't know how to figure over stock then your best bet is to buy a package deal that comes with everything you need just to be safe. It's worth spending a little more and getting it right the first time.

-Rohan

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Regarding height.
A little trick many use.
Set on the bike in your normal riding position. But hands in your lap.
Close your eyes and just naturally reach out to a comfortable relaxed arm position.
Have a friend measure the height from hands to top of triple tree.
This will put you real close to a good height. As well as an idea of the pull back.

·
Registered
257 Posts
With the amount of mechanically illiterate people we get on this forum I had to clarify.
Most of us on the forum did our apes ourselves and we bought whatever set or size we liked via the website or catalog.
Umm so which is it???? No to me it sounds more like the usual dick response most new forum members get. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

Kwall my local dealer had a breakout with 16" apes on it and felt very comfortable and looked awesome. I'm 5' 10" and that would probably be my choice if I had that bike.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
So which is what???

Yeah it may have been a little on the ass side because we get a ton of 1 time posters that come on here and ask a question and then leave. Therefore, people who properly introduce themselves first get the nice answer on their first post and people who don't... well, don't. Telling people to use the search function isn't a dick response because starting threads over and over again clutters the forum and makes it harder to find specific threads when one actually does use... the search function.

Here ya go Hurricane. Take a read and you'll understand my first response much better: http://www.Harley-Davidsonforums.com/forums/new-community/4674-new-forum.html

-Rohan

·
Registered
257 Posts
So which is what???
1. Mechanically illiterate or 2. Most of did us our apes ourselves

I would be willing to bet NONE of the mechanically illiterate can do apes themselves as this requires more mechanical skill than simply changing oil. :dunno

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
1. Mechanically illiterate or 2. Most of did us our apes ourselves

I would be willing to bet NONE of the mechanically illiterate can do apes themselves as this requires more mechanical skill than simply changing oil. :dunno

Ahhh I see. I'm sorry for the confusion. To clarify:

What I SHOULD have said was "With the amount of mechanically illiterate one and done posters coming on here I needed to make sure"

I've seen some pretty dumb peeps do apes just fine... they just weren't straight and had tape all over the wires where they spliced them back in lol.

-Rohan

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ahhh I see. I'm sorry for the confusion. To clarify:

What I SHOULD have said was "With the amount of mechanically illiterate one and done posters coming on here I needed to make sure"

I've seen some pretty dumb peeps do apes just fine... they just weren't straight and had tape all over the wires where they spliced them back in lol.

-Rohan
:thumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2015 breakout and have been looking to raise the bars to ape hangers. curious if its worth it. if so what size has everyone been doing and what length of cable extensions do I need.

yea after reading various posts about apes on breakouts here, I was able to get it done pretty easily I might say.. the hardest part was just spending the money. haha , hey its a Harley..
if you haven't found through the threads..
ive found you should change the stock risers to the cvo risers. probably like 240 through surdyke Harley. if u don't change risers,, well it just looks f*#ckin dumb. but hey that's my opinion.
I got 14in carlinis.(im 6'0 with a decent reach.)
16 in cable kit from burley cables. just the perfect amount of slack. (comes with wire Extensions to splice/solder/ or whatever) and just go to auto store and pick up some heat shrink to put over your connections. everyone has their own opinions as to what method is best.. job itself took me like an accumulative 7 hours maybe. first time job. get some trans oil too. . youtube it

u can save a thousand or whatever they charge . good luck

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
To all reading, going taller and needing wire extensions.
Just three words to keep in mind. Solder the connections. Then shrink tube. (Ok. that was 6.)
Use the tubing with internal adhesive too.

With the inherent vibration, and potential exposure to the elements the wiring will endure it is the BEST way to go.
(I rarely state my opinion this strongly)
But if a non-soldered connection ever fails on you, you will now think of this thread.

Do it right the first time = only doing it once.
No setting along the side of the road with an unknown electrical issue. No being pulled over because a turn signal and/or tail light quit functioning. No missing a planned ride or being late somewhere because it would not start.
No backtracking on work already done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts