Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a set of 18" LA Choppers ape hangers from a customer of mine (I drive for UPS) and I can't wait to get them installed as that was a "next" on my 2007 Street Glide. They came off of his 2006 Road King Classic. I know I need the wire extension kit, new throttle cables, clutch cable and brake line. Any other tips, knowledge or information pointed in my direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Attachments

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Sounds like you have the bases covered.
Only other thing is if you are going to internally wire them if they are pre-drilled to do so.

Lots of lube and patience are required.
yea guys. I said lube.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep they are holed for it so I'm planning on it. Was told electrical tape it all and grease up the tape and entrance hole and away you go...wish me luck haha!!!

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
The electrical tape is`t a bad idea.
I used silicone spray lube. A lot less messy. But you will likely use a lot.
Some will suggest another method of pulling the wires. I used the small gauge chain that is used to hang fluorescent lights.
Also stagger the ends of your wires when you connect them to whatever you do use to pull. Keeping the bulk to a minimum will go a long way in making for an easier pull.

·
azz kicker
310 Posts
nice bars just the wrong application. bagger bars are bent roughly half way up to contour the fairing. no bend the bars will be in your lap and have an uncomfortable riding position plus not look right. It can be done just not sure if you knew the difference. It would suck to go through the work to find it out. good luck.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
nice bars just the wrong application. bagger bars are bent roughly half way up to contour the fairing. no bend the bars will be in your lap and have an uncomfortable riding position plus not look right. It can be done just not sure if you knew the difference. It would suck to go through the work to find it out. good luck.
This/\

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,106 Posts

Yup.

Apes for a King are completely different than apes for a Street glide/Ultra.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after 2 different phone calls to LA Choppers, I've been told that these particular bars are not the straight across the bottom bars for the previously mentioned 06' RK. These are the 18" FL model and they are to fit the touring line of HD. Therefore they shld fit my 07' FLHX with their low profile bend at the bottom of the bars without sacrificing the "Ape Hanger" look...

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Glad they should work out for you.

Yea. I have replaced my bars with internally wired ones. But they were on a FXST. And they were drag bars.
Same procedure will still work for you.

Glad the Bagger crew filled you in. And yours will work out.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you don't have a one-piece riser clamp on your stock bars, you might want to get one. With the weight and added torque of the longer bars, they can snap in two between the risers.

It you tape your wiring keep the bundle tight and wrap with just a single layer. The wires are stiff already. The added tape just makes them stiffer and more difficult to pull.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts

·
Vanilla Gorilla
1,384 Posts
Also, since you are going with 18" bars I'd recommend pinning them. There's a lot of leverage on those bars and there's a good chance they'll move on you. I'm about to put 16's on my ultra and will be pinning them once I have them positioned so they're sure not to move.

·
Vanilla Gorilla
1,384 Posts
Brand new to all of this...can you please define "pinning"???
drill holes into the riser and bars and put in a roll pin to keep them from moving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was my logical guess. Thank you for all of the thoughts, opinions and guidance. I'm pretty excited to tackle this project.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well ladies and gentleman, after a week and a half of an hour here and a couple hours there, 19 hours in all, a broken air cleaner bolt and a broken set of HD heated grips, she's all done and back together. What a learning experience!!! I wld now have no issue helping someone else looking to take on this project!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts