Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
Since we have awoken a Rocker discussion..........I am thinking about going with 14" narrow apes on 2.5" risers on my 08 Rocker. I am only about 5'7" and have a Danny Gray seat which lowers my riding position some. Am I going to be reaching way too high with that proposed combo?As well as I can tell by just sitting on the scoot and trying to hold a yard stick and measure by myself it seems that 16" hits me just about at the mustache So my hands would be below eye level. This is going to be expensive enough that I can't afford to do it twice.
Thanks..........Colt.45

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Colt I wish I could help you out with your question about apes. I'm just wondering how comfortable that will be on longer rides? I've seen apes on rockers from pics on the net and it sure changes the look of the bike. What were you aiming to do with the change? Is it for looks or ride comfort?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
take a couple sticks and tape then to your bars and adjust the height that you think they will be and test it. it'll get you close

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
booda
Both, I like the look but I want it comfy to ride as well.I really want 4" Z bars on 9.5" risers but I can't get anything out of HCC on that.

Hey cisco
I think I'll make a set out of PVC and see how they feel.....?
Thanks........Colt.45

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Would a 6" z bar on a 7" riser do the same thing? Or a 12" z bar ape?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,125 Posts
Get a buddy and set the bike up straight...
Jump on, Close your eyes and put your arms out like you were riding down the road.

Have your buddy mark the spot with card board or pvc... Will get you close to how you naturally want to grab the bars.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
misin
I'll try that Sir.

Sarah
Yeah it would but the look I want calls for 4" Z's Unfortunately I can't get any communication out of HCC so I reckon I'll just have to order something sell as a stock item. It sucks being in a small town area in cases like this...........
Colt.45

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Colt color me ignorant but who or what is HCC? I'm guessing a custom bike shop or parts supply house? Thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hcc

Hey booda
HCC is "Hill Country Customs",they are back East...maybe Pa.?
Anyhow finally got them by phone and my stuff is ordered.
Colt.45

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Hey booda
Colt.45
Texas, actually. And I had great a great experience with them, even though I was only buying cables and a wire extension. I think phone is the best, as that's how I got in touch with them as well.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Hey booda
Colt.45
That's great you have your items or order. Did they get you an ETA? Hopefully you'll still have plenty of time before your trip.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Sarah
They said ETA was about 2-3 weeks.......so plenty of time.We might still be snow covered by then.Our Arkansas trip isn't till Aug. if I remember correctly anyhow. I also have a license plate bracket ordered from "Top Down Products" it looks great and mounts on the rear axel and the plate rotates from vertical to horizontal and everything in between without tools. In another month my scooter should be looking good !
Colt.45

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Colt that license plate holder sounds good. Maybe you can post some pics when it's installed. What happens with the holes in the fender when the stock plate holder is removed?

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Hey Sarah
They said ETA was about 2-3 weeks.......so plenty of time.We might still be snow covered by then.Our Arkansas trip isn't till Aug. if I remember correctly anyhow. I also have a license plate bracket ordered from "Top Down Products" it looks great and mounts on the rear axel and the plate rotates from vertical to horizontal and everything in between without tools. In another month my scooter should be looking good !
Colt.45
Very cool!! I can't wait to see it.

Booda, ya have to fill or cover the holes.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
booda
I have ordered a Harley gas tank badge [Bar & Shield] just like our Rockers except the next size larger. It will be placed over the fender holes.I will post pictures for sure.

Thanks Sarah.........I can barely wait myself!
Colt.45

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Texas, actually. And I had great a great experience with them, even though I was only buying cables and a wire extension. I think phone is the best, as that's how I got in touch with them as well.

My experience as well.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
booda
I have ordered a Harley gas tank badge [Bar & Shield] just like our Rockers except the next size larger. It will be placed over the fender holes.I will post pictures for sure.

Thanks Sarah.........I can barely wait myself!
Colt.45
Hey Alan, today I rode from San Diego to SmiI Valley which was 170 miles. I got 52.3 mpg. I think that is pretty good highway mileage for this bike. I made the trip in 2 hours, 20 minutes and mostly did about 75 mph. The Danny Gray seat was fine but I do think I will have better foam put in when I can afford it. Actually I plan to alter the shape a bit when I do that. I'd like it narrower in the front and thicker foam at the rear for lower back support.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sarah
170 miles huh,that was a nice ride and great mpg too. I think I generally get about 43-45 mpg.
Are you thinking some other type of foam or that seat gel stuff? Lots of people talk like it's really nice.It would be nice if the seat back could actually be built up about 4" for support. When you get your seat redone be sure to let me know all about it ? I sure envy you getting to ride so much........
Colt.45

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
I sure will. There is a memory foam that seems better than gel. I've ridden a few VRod Muscles and the back of that seat is built up and really holds you in. I will confess that I am spoiled by our weather. Hey, at least I don'the waste it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts