Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I got 5 out of my '07 Electra Glide. I replaced only because I was going to Sturgis. That original battery is still spinning my Craftsman lawn tractor over just fine.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,192 Posts
Just put a new one on my scoot after 4 years. It still starts the bike, but it was getting noticeably weaker. It does, however, still work quite well on the big mower I use around here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The battery on my Deuce lasted over 10 years.
Just rode the bike and kept it on a tender when not on
the road...

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
New bike in Nov. 2009. Always on a tender after every ride. Load tested excellent 2 months ago. Battery build date 4-2009. Died 5/30/2015

So yah never know.

PS: I hate when your dressed out, have to met the boys at a certain time. Started relay put out a racket, says no your not, the old bat just died. RIP

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
My new battery in my new bike only lasted 34 months. I had a battery tender but I did not have it immediately during the first year. I think the problem was more with an older battery off-the-shelf or maybe had a faulty cell.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
A quality replacement battery has a better chance of out-living the original battery in a new vehicle because the replacement sees regular use and charging cycles from day one. The original battery sits without being used or charged, sometimes for many months before the vehicle is sold. During that time, some of the plates' condition can deteriorate to a degree, contributing to premature failure. (Usually the proverbial one day after the warranty period)

--

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
5 years is about the average for my batteries. I always use a battery tender.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
A quality replacement battery has a better chance of out-living the original battery in a new vehicle because the replacement sees regular use and charging cycles from day one. The original battery sits without being used or charged, sometimes for many months before the vehicle is sold. During that time, some of the plates' condition can deteriorate to a degree, contributing to premature failure. (Usually the proverbial one day after the warranty period)

--
Valid point. I would think almost all bikes at HD dealer have the battery charging harness installed. If they use it, I don't know. Keeping battery up would extend life and keep customers happy over the long run. Many riders dislike HD batteries because of perceived short life span.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
My first 4 bikes were kick start only. I had an attitude about wussification on the new bike as it's a push button start only.

Now I realize I'm wussed out enough to probably not be able to kick start anymore . . . anyway.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I've gotten anywhere from 6 months to 5 years. The dealer told me that more than 2 years is exceptional. I called BS.

Reactions: JTJ

·
luv the low country
21,004 Posts
What a perfect day for a ride, so I unplugged it from the tender,which I put her on after every ride, hit the starter button and got a little hesitation before it started. Its been doing that lately and mentioned to my son I think the battery is starting to fail, its the original. After a nice 100+ mile ride and stopping for a while at Old Coot's house, tried starting her and got just a clicking of the silinoid then nothing. Tried again and it wouldn't even turn the fuel pump on. So we pulled it out took it to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and it was a very dead battery. Bike only had 5k on the clock when I bought it so I can assume it was the '02 original.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.