Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back into archery after being away for about 50 years. (Yeah, a half-century.)

As a kid I had a fiberglass, 25# bow, wood target arrows, used to shoot at cardboard boxes in the front yard of my suburban home.

And so, a friend of mine had been looking at a target bow. She wanted a "recurve" for targets, about 25#, and let's go from there.

A distant area archer shop has a mobile sales trailer that stops in outlying areas a week at a time. My friend found a Mohegan 24#, some arrows, glove, arm guard, etc.

Next day, (my birthday) I bought a Samick Sage 62" 40# -- Easton Storm 400 spine carbon arrows, glove, arm guard, arrow tote . . . then a Bitzenburger fletching jig, fletching feathers, arrow shafts, etc.

Set up some straw bales in the barn, lighted, out of the weather, 10 yd, 20 yd. distance. Right now we're shooting at the ol' "bubba" paper plate targets. We're getting serious about arrow building, form, style, technique.

Nicest part of this whole new interest is that I get out to shoot for a couple hours with a dozen arrows, and at the end of the day I still have a dozen arrows. -- And there's no hoarding of arrows, or shortage of equipment. No one is trying to pass restrictions on "tactical assault bows" (which are cammo, compound, and used for serious hunting out to 100 yds.)

I'm sure I'm not alone here. Archery is popular for hunting (I don't hunt.), and develops some good technique for "point and shoot" that carries over to trap shooting, self defense.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
I'm sure you know this already, but it's a good reminder.

Archery is all about repeatablity. Do everything the same exact way everytime for consistancy. Consistancy leads to accuracy.

Have fun with it. Try different things until you find what works for you and go with it. It's a life long love affair!

·
Banned
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, consistent, repeat --

I should probably add that this 40# draw has raised some issues with shoulders and elbows. I have an MD (retired) colleague who is into archery. She's telling me, "The elbow and shoulder issues are about fitness. You understand fitness. Keep at it until it stops being an issue."

And so the archery is impetus to get off my butt, get some exercise and gain some fitness.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
I shot ASA, IBO, & BHA tournaments for a while, but stopped a few years back. I shot compounds, not traditional, so I really can't give any input on traditional equipment and what is good or not good...

If you want compound advice, feel free to ask.

·
Banned
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compound bows -- cams, string twist, back wall, stacking . . . I don't grasp it. I just want a recurve and about 20 yds to the pie plate. I shoot at straw bales, four of them stacked, with a couple layers of cardboard from major appliance boxes, and in the middle the "Bubba Standard Target" -- cheap paper plate, 9".

My left shoulder gets sore, but I'm sure it's a physical conditioning thing. It seems to be getting better. My form is improving, accuracy improving too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I like the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) setup. While I hunt with a compound traditional equipment is a lot of fun. I made a long bow out of red oak a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun to shoot. I was going to hunt with it, but it started to make some weird noises so I quit using it. I tried to make a few more, but can you say "epic fail"?

I keep saying my next bow will be a recurve or a long bow. I just have a hard time spending 400-600 dollars for a decent bow. Then the equipment that goes with it.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I had, Had (it was stolen) a split limb Fred Bear compound bow. Had all the gadgets and junk to go with it. Even got pretty good with it. At 30 yards I could hit a silver dollar sized group. Then I tore up my left shoulder and it went into the hard case I had for it and then into storage... Two weeks after I put it in storage, some dirt bag broke into it and stole that and my kids BB guns.

Still haven't heard anything on the theft. I was given a Pearson bow not to long ago by my oldest daughter. So I may try to use it if the shoulder is willing.

Oh I replaced the kids BB guns with a Savage #64 .22 so they are happy.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
You've got to be one with the bow to be good with a stick and string.

Here's someone that's pretty much got it down.

I've seen him shoot asprin out of the air.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Old Byron is an Alabama boy. He can sure enough shoot.

My mom's best friend growing up is the granddaughter of Howard Hill, who used to shoot the bows in all the old Hollywood movies. Mom met him a bunch of times over the years. Wish I had met him before he passed. Bet he could give me some pointers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
I wonder how many takes that shot required?
Cetainly he has to practice the shot, but you have to admit that he can definitely shoot. God only knows how many times I would have to try to even get lucky one time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
" just want a recurve and about 20 yds to the pie plate"

Xero - I'm the same as you.
I just got a recurve. Gonna spend the summer learning how to shoot it. If I can make repeatable shots - then I might go out for hunting/archery season this Fall. We'll see how it works out.

Post some stories are you start shooting targets and stuff.

dT

·
Banned
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a YouTube video -- "Instinctive Shooting, Archery" I think. The guy is in his barn, w/ a recurve, tossing pie plates into the air and nailing them with arrows. Again and again, no misses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts