Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday was the most beautiful day we've had in the Houston TX area in quite a while. I'd been looking forward to this day for weeks. I had to ride. Even as I tried to hard get all my "car/truck" stuff done, I would see EVERYONE riding everything. I could hardly wait.

I fired up my Dyna FXDB Street Bob and away I went. I was at a traffic light, waiting to go straight. As the previously unnoticed guy on the HD touring was making a left turn, I thought I heard him say, "Lose the backpack!"

I have a fluorescent orange backpack that I keep my insurance, tollway tag and some other items in. I'd gotten it because the color said, "SEE ME!!!", something they said was important in MC class. I never heard that comment when I had my 883 Iron, then again, I never ran into that guy before then either.

Is there a taboo concerning backpacks on Dynas and bigger bikes? If so, what are the alternatives? Can't/don't want to do saddle bags.

Your comments are welcome.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,464 Posts
If you're comfortable with a backpack, wear the backpack. If someone else wants to be a jerk and dis you about it, ride on and enjoy the day.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't pay any attention to him. Not everyone who rides an HD touring bike has class! Do what you feel is comfortable. I understand the high visibility issue and its importance. I did it for years on different bikes and loved the convenience so get out there and do what you do...

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Never mind Numbnutz... Just don't ever carry anything in it that could injure your back if you fall onto it.

Short story... I have a friend in a wheelchair due to a car stereo he had in his backpack, when he went down...

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
That was me. I said 'It's good to be back, Jack!". :)

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
There are jerks that will say anything to pi$$ you off. If you hadnt had the backpack he woulda probably said get a real bike, or lose the chaps, or something to pertain to the situation. So dont worry about it. Have a good ride and enjoy yourself...

·
Registered
39,509 Posts
If I need to carry something for a quick trip, I'll use a backpack.

A lot quicker than grabbing my saddlebags, installing them, make a quick trip, then removing them when I get back home.... :loco

Fuggem if someone else don't like the way I look, I'm not out looking for a date from some random dude at an intersection. :what?

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Might be just yanking your chain..............:fitz

Friend of mine would slip on almost full military duffle, for a 400+ day to Laughlin. No sissy bar on his Fatboy, just kinda laid back against it, don't know how he managed. Being 5' 8" let him get away with it ....?

·
Super Moderator
12,740 Posts
I would have yelled back, "you're the one riding a Barcolounger"

Since I have both the Dyna and the Geezer Glide, the back pack is my laptop carrying choice. On the bagger it happens to be in the tour pak.

That guy was just being a tool.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yeah, only a moron would say something like that, probably an insecure person in his own image of himself. I am actually thinking of one of those Hi-Vis jackets I have been seeing more of lately. I saw a rider on the freeway a few days ago that was at least a quarter mile ahead of us or more and my wife even said "Wow I can see this guy from here" kind of gets me thinking visibility is so important.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. If it suits you, it tickles me to death. I thought about a pair of hi-vis orange work gloves to make my hand signals more visible. Ride safe and enjoy. :ride

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I have two different backpacks, just for riding. One holds all my camera gear and the other will hold my jacket and helmet if I don't want to leave them on the bike.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts