Harley Davidson Forums banner

Are you involved in activities to promote/preserve the rights of motorcyclists?

• Active and participating ABATE, AMA or other politically related group membership

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Inactive ABATE, AMA or other politically related group membership

• Active participant in local government meetings advocating for motorcyclists

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I am not involved

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Other, please describe in thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I'm an ABATE guy, but not much on clubs otherwise. I have not spent as much time as I probably should investigating the HOG opportunities. I do ride with some 1%er friends on occasion.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I am not involved as of yet. Lil are you? I mean besides enlightening all of us.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not involved as of yet. Lil are you? I mean besides enlightening all of us.
I picked other only because of what my postings tend to be about here and at our sister sight. People have called me a safey officer-type so I guess I am doing something. Not all that I would like to do however. I am trying to think of ways to get the local HOG chapter and dealership more involved. It is not easy because they are very into what they do already...civic activities, but not about motorcyclists rights.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I wouldn't care to be involved in any organization that would care to be involved with people like me.

Any organization, by definition, not only contains the potential to do evil, but also inevitably will.

That is not to say that organizations can not do some good under the influence of good people.

Just to say that they will inevitably do some harm also. And are frequently under the control of harmful people.

Which is why I prefer to remain a lone wolf.

Perhaps I do little good. But at least I also do little harm.

It's perfectly understandable if you think I am wrong.

But the alternative is that you elect me. I don't think you really want that :D:D:D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I picked other only because of what my postings tend to be about here and at our sister sight. People have called me a safey officer-type so I guess I am doing something. Not all that I would like to do however. I am trying to think of ways to get the local HOG chapter and dealership more involved. It is not easy because they are very into what they do already...civic activities, but not about motorcyclists rights.
Thats why I post so much under your threads. Safety is a subject I constantly would love to keep learning the rest of my life and you and the others here help me do that. So you are contributing to the well being of all who care to listen and thats a great service Thankyou!!!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Pete, you kind of remind me of a workin' mate I had once, he was really outspoken about gun rights and the various egg-suckin' politicians trying to mess with those rights. I suggested he should joion the NRA because they were organized and messed with those politicians right back.

Anyway, he stiffened up and said he never joined any groups, because he was very careful never to get onto any "lists", he believed the govt has lots of "lists"' of people they want to keep an eye on.

I told him he should worry about getting on one on the lists of people the govt is MOST concerned about, I told him they compiled all their lists and cross reference them, and build a list of people who they thought most suspect because they must have had to go to some trouble NOT to get on ANY lists.

He walked away very concerned.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Pete, you kind of remind me of a workin' mate I had once, he was really outspoken about gun rights and the various egg-suckin' politicians trying to mess with those rights. I suggested he should joion the NRA because they were organized and messed with those politicians right back.

Anyway, he stiffened up and said he never joined any groups, because he was very careful never to get onto any "lists", he believed the govt has lots of "lists"' of people they want to keep an eye on.

I told him he should worry about getting on one on the lists of people the govt is MOST concerned about, I told him they compiled all their lists and cross reference them, and build a list of people who they thought most suspect because they must have had to go to some trouble NOT to get on ANY lists.

I blew any chance of flying low when I filled out the "Reason for purchasing firearm" section with "To protect the constitution from all boarders foreign and domestic" about 20 some years ago. :D Sorry for jacking your thread Lil! :eek:

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
A nine year AMA member but this is about the extent of my motorcycle "civic" involvement at this time. Well, sometimes I email my county commissioners and county road & bridge when work is done unfriendly to us on two wheels.

I'm working plans to be much more involved but this would still be a year or two away.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats why I post so much under your threads. Safety is a subject I constantly would love to keep learning the rest of my life and you and the others here help me do that. So you are contributing to the well being of all who care to listen and thats a great service Thankyou!!!
If people like you did not respond the threads would end up meaningless.
Thank you:dance

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I have attended ABATE meetings for years. I think they are more responsible for advocacy of your local motorcycle rights than is the AMA by far. They also ususally deliver the MSF courses in any given area. Plus it is the only club meeting you will go to where the local 1% club representative is setting next to the 'wing club guy and they are chatting about something totally unrelated to motorcycles.

I strongly urge you to support your local ABATE chapter.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts

I have to fess up to a little inconsistency here.

I am a NRA Life Member :cool:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Pete said..
I am a NRA Life Member
I'm not one bit surprised.

Anybody who is into the freedoms of motorcycling, should also be NRA members,
regardless of their feelings about guns. That may not make much sense to some. I'll explain.

It brings up my rationale for being mostly a single issue voter, and that issue is gun rights.

That isn't as simple minded as it might seem, because any politician who is wrong about guns,
IS WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE TOO, and them being wrong about motorcycles
and motorcycle people and their rights is UNQUESTIONABLE and INEVITABLE.

Don't you know, any politicians who don't trust law abiding Americans to own guns,
are most definitely afraid of the attitudes of independence and self determination
implicit in motorcycling and motorcycle people.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Anybody who is into the freedoms of motorcycling, should also be NRA members,
regardless of their feelings about guns. That may not make much sense to some. I'll explain.

It brings up my rationale for being mostly a single issue voter, and that issue is gun rights.

That isn't as simple minded as it might seem, because any politician who is wrong about guns,
IS WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE TOO, and them being wrong about motorcycles
and motorcycle people and their rights is UNQUESTIONABLE and INEVITABLE.

Don't you know, any politicians who don't trust law abiding Americans to own guns,
are most definitely afraid of the attitudes of independence and self determination
implicit in motorcycling and motorcycle people.
I agree.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
-Representative Suzanna Gratia Hupp

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am not aware of any clubs such as ABATE in my area. Is there a data base with info on chapters that may be local to me?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
ABATE of Illinois since 1987... AMA since 1988.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts