Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suppose the term is somewhat subjective since to a lot of people, non riders especially, they are of the mentality that if you own and ride a motorcycle then you are a biker. Do you consider a distinction based on involvement?
I know for many riding is a lifestyle where as to me its only recently again entertainment. I own a motorcycle but don't particularly use it for transportation. I used to think that when I started again that I could take it or leave it and that if I was told that I could not longer ride it wouldn't bother me but I have to confess that since storing it for the winter around Thanksgiving I started missing it the following week and around Christmas week recently the weather was great here and I was jealous of all the bikes I saw out. I considered myself though really just a "motorcyclist."

So I ask you, what defines a "biker?"

(Oddly growing up I had heard that there was once considered a distinction between "biker" and "bikee" which had to do primarily with club affiliations.)

Note to mods: if this thread is redundant or beating a dead horse please feel free to remove it.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I have been riding for 45 years, but I don't like being called a 'biker'. I ride a '77 FLH and a couple of Buells. I wear a helmet and all my gloves have ten fingers. I consider myself a 'motorcycle enthusiast'.

(Oddly growing up I had heard that there was once considered a distinction between "biker" and "bikee" which had to do primarily with club affiliations.)
I have only heard 'bikee' as the Australian equivalent of 'biker'.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I'll repeat,

Call me whatever you want as long as that cold beer in your hand is for me.

This. I've been called far worse than a biker. Today.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
This. I've been called far worse than a biker. Today.
And your boys aren't old enough to know all the good words yet. They need some more quality time with uncle Andy.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,482 Posts
I'm with Mike on this-----and as long as there is another beer for me after he gets his.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
My sister's in-laws refer to my family as "biker trash". I guess I am and proud of it.

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
My sister's in-laws refer to my family as "biker trash". I guess I am and proud of it.
Had a hat that said Scooter Trash and proud of it.
But my second wife knew how much I liked it. Took it with her when she left. :mad

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I'm a 350-day a year rider for 40 years. Service my own bikes. But when it comes to REPAIRS...that's a different story. I need help. I supply beer and am great at fetching tools. "Biker?" In who's opinion?

Rider? Uh, yeah, that's a certainty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In my minds eye I see a "biker" differently than a "rider" who is different from a "motorcyclist". IMHO, a "biker" has a lifestyle that is reflected in more than his motorcycle. Its in his clothes and his recreational time. It can be in the image that they are trying to uphold to themselves or others around them. Is not dependent on weather or a cage. It seems to me more of a lifestyle than the other two that I classify.

The "rider" tends to ride when its convenient and has a more casual approach to his bike. "Doesn't rain, maybe I'll go for a ride". Gear typically looks fresh. Doesn't mean that the love of motorcycles and riding are not there, just not on the same level as "biker".
The "motorcyclist" is just nuts about bikes and riding. Dirt bikes when he can't ride street. May have more than one bike as each has its advantages based upon the need of the owner. May have more than one brand of bike for the same reason. Performance may even be more important than style, including gear. Can be as committed as the "biker" as a daily driver but may seek a different thrill on a different bike for recreation. Usually not as social, as the ride is more important than the destination or gathering.

Again, this is IMHO only based upon be being lucky enough to have known, ridden and enjoyed the company of all three types of owners that I have broken out here over the past 35+ years. Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Call me whatever you want to call me; I don't really care. I love motorcycles, especially my Harleys, and ride every chance I get. Living south of Seattle does not provide as many opportunities as I would prefer, due to the inclement weather. At the moment, my hair is shortly cropped, I'm clean shaven, and I don't have any tats. Am I a biker? I don't know, I just love riding. I like beer. The end.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts