Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i put on the Big Sucker on my 08 Road King Classic ..
After picking up a o-ring they shorted me one but no biggy hardware store had the size they are small and thin..same as a Screaming eagle so if ya need one and ya got a hardware store like mine .39 per oring vs harleys .89

Ok nuff of that stuff.

Here we have the normal Football and air filter setup

Remove the cover for this pic

After removing the air filter your left with this

Bit oily no ?

Remove the breather hoses and hollow bolts to get down to the throttle body

Check this out i cleaned the throttle body with just WD and even with proper maintenance its amazing how much stuff makes it though the Air Filter

Here is the Big sucker backing plate install the oring's with some Grease now here according to the Directions you install the gasket on the backing plate one side is self stick .. not in my kit so little grease held it in place to ..

Heres the Filter

install the backing plate and leave the banjo bolts loose while tightening the
throttle body bolts down use Blue loctite on everything.. yes i got the drool cleaned up the pic help me see it

After that hang your Filter

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then look at the pile of parts you wont be using on the floor

Then put the stock football cover back on for now

All in all pretty simple about a 20-30 min install

Some things to think on a long Allen wrench set for the 3/8 drive ratchet also a long torx set makes it a lot easier on ya and of course ya need a Torque wrench and all ready mentioned Loctite ..

I forgot to get a side pic ill try to get one later or a few days

Also on this one you do not have to remove the support bracket for the throttle body

Here are the Allen Wrenches i was talking about

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Nice pictorial.

:thumb

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys.. I was hoping to do some more stuff this weekend but parts haven't arrived so today is a good day to lay around

·
Registered
81 Posts
that looks sweet!!! do they make those kits for 88`s ??

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey, I just followed your instructions and I THINK THINK THINK it went well. I'm concerned because I didn't find any use for the washers that came in my kit. They seemed to be only useful if I had the old bolts, but I got the same banjo bolts as you. So... should I have used the washers somewhere, because it doesn't appear you did either?

Also... I can literally hear the air being sucked in. I've never heard this before. Probably because the stock AC is basically in a box. But I want to make sure that I didn't screw something up. I used the gasket properly. I torqued properly. Everything seems to be in tip top shape. I just hear air. Almost like when you are making the PSSSST sound. Is this normal???

Appreciate the help! First time I've ever installed something like this. Before I go riding it to the dealership for a remap (5 miles, no biggy) I want to make sure the pssst sound I hear and not using the washers was okay.

·
Harley and Barley
244 Posts
i want to comment on what you said. "its amazing how much stuff gets thru the air filter"

most of the debris left in the trottle body bore and butterfly is not from the atmosphere. it is from the combustion process. after you shut the bike off, all the vapor that remains inside the cylenders rises out of the chamber and finds its way to the entire intake system, including the throttle body. it gets worse closer to the cyls not better. it would be cleaner if it were from the atmosphere, but it is dirtier.

I am just trying to let everyone know where this gunk comes from. by doing the service called "EFi clean" this will be shiny. while the engine is running an intake cleaner is sprayed into the trottle body.
it will be shiny when done. I do these all the time.

·
Harley and Barley
244 Posts
Almost like when you are making the PSSSST sound. Is this normal???

after this type of air cleaner is installed, yes you will notice a difference in airflow, including this type of noise.
if you are scared, run the bike while you spray carb cleaner at possible leak areas and if the bike changes rpm. if it does, you have a leak. if not, things are good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts