·
COB
1,984 Posts
Softail.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is interesting. Why the Softail? There are a a couple of very interesting bikes in that line. Is it because they are sort of old school?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
In my rationale, which admittedly may be quite flawed, the average Harley owner is aging to the point that a large percentage of them will either die or stop riding. To me, the majoriy of the Softail line is an effort to look "old school", the Heritage being the greatest offender. The only new thing they have done really is the Rocker and it is just a Softail with the fender attached to the swing-arm instead of the frame. Somewhere I read that this line has the highest average age of customers. When most people think RUB they think Softail. RUB's are getting out of biking in droves.

The VRSC line is part of the future.

The Sportster will not die until they come up with a better entry level offering.

The Touring line is very high profit margin and there will always be a customer for a tour rig.

The Dyna started basically with the SuperGlide in which they grafted a Sportster front end on a big twin. It is often the line where things are tried out. It is presently the most innovative BT line they offer with the StreetBob, FatBot, Wide Glide, etc. They just spent the money to re-design the frame. Very high profit margin, the bikes don't cost much more than a Sportster to make.

Just my opinion, but I am real smart and rarely wrong.

Reactions: tlc

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
Air cools.
Can Harely meet all EPA regulations on air cool engines?

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
In my rationale, which admittedly may be quite flawed, the average Harley owner is aging to the point that a large percentage of them will either die or stop riding. To me, the majoriy of the Softail line is an effort to look "old school", the Heritage being the greatest offender. The only new thing they have done really is the Rocker and it is just a Softail with the fender attached to the swing-arm instead of the frame. Somewhere I read that this line has the highest average age of customers. When most people think RUB they think Softail. RUB's are getting out of biking in droves.

The VRSC line is part of the future.

The Sportster will not die until they come up with a better entry level offering.

The Touring line is very high profit margin and there will always be a customer for a tour rig.

The Dyna started basically with the SuperGlide in which they grafted a Sportster front end on a big twin. It is often the line where things are tried out. It is presently the most innovative BT line they offer with the StreetBob, FatBot, Wide Glide, etc. They just spent the money to re-design the frame. Very high profit margin, the bikes don't cost much more than a Sportster to make.

Just my opinion, but I am real smart and rarely wrong.
I basically agree with you (all except for that last line:rofl:), but as CEYLON points out, the next major change will be the water-cooled touring bike and then it will filter to the rest of the lines. The EPA just won't leave any wiggle room.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I basically agree with you (all except for that last line:rofl:), but as CEYLON points out, the next major change will be the water-cooled touring bike and then it will filter to the rest of the lines. The EPA just won't leave any wiggle room.
I think there is no argument there. They have played out the air-cooled engine line about as far as they can. If they were to move the induction to the other side of the bike they might be able to squeak a few more years out, but I think they will just move on.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,195 Posts
You'd think that there's nothing really new to hope for, but there is one thing I have read about that I hope might help.

Maybe I don't know as much as I think I do, but I'd expect the EPA hell-hounds would be satisfied with a very lean burn engine that doesn't run hot enough to make NOx, which seems a contradiction in physics. HD owners and the co. already have a problem running lean w/o running hot, let alone making excess NOx.

I read that either Saab or Volvo or both have been working on using what should be catastrophically lean mixtures and ignition advance at high levels of boost on their turbo cars, a combimation of parameters that would be completely impossible, except for a technology resurrected from WWII fighter aircraft, implimented with computer precision, and that is water injection. With computer precision, they could get exceptional economy, as very lean mixtures want to burn much hotter, and if water injection can harness the heat and use it to make cylinder pressure and lower actual temps so NOx isn't high, maybe there is some hope. If fuel economy was up enough, maybe we could afford to carry a little water reservoir.

I can dream, maybe, that the same technology that makes fuel/air mixture control so precise can make combustion chamber temps equally controllable.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
VRODS stay
Sportsters are cheap entry level bikes that get people in the door
Touring line up is selling like hotcakes
Softails are one of their biggest sellers, can you say Fatboy?
Dynas are the only bikes left. Which like Mike said is really just two existing lines mixed together but the Dynas really add to the diversity of the brand.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
They still have the noise issue having their induction noise and exhaust noise on the same side. Unless the rules change this is going to continue to be a problem for HD.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I can't tell you how long it took me to change the throttle cable on my GPZ-1100.....I can't tell you because I went insane performing the task and when I came to many days later it was completed.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Buell. Didn't they already drop BRAG? (or was it just our local dealership that did?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts