Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Street Bob and its not a smooth ride for me. I just bought it in November. I had not ridden in 30 years so all I am comfortable with is mid controls. are all dyna's so rough riding? I need a fairing and bags. Is it worth it to put a lot of money and time into my bike and hope to get it where I want it, or is there a more suited mid control bike I might like with a smoother ride?

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
Do you know if the previous owner lowered the bike?

That will make for a rougher ride.

For the ultimate in smoothness and fairing + bags, you want a touring model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its pretty stock. I just feel ever bump on the road. I like the feel of it but on a semi bumpy road my teeth rattle. I have looked at touring bikes, they all have forward controls and floorboard, all of which I am not comfortable with.

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
You have the 49mm front forks. You can get an Ohlins cartridge system for the front, and Ohlins rear shocks. ($$$)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is worth it in my opinion if you really like the bike. After riding BMWs for a number of years and now getting back on a Low Rider I know the only way to get a smooth better ride is to upgrade the suspension. With a limited suspension travel it is more dificult to get a soft ride,not impossible just $$$$$$

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had the front forks worked on, the rears would be the next move st around 400.00 - 600.00 I believe I was told. If I go this route I want a Memphis Batwing and I need bid bags as my lap top is 11x15.
I like the feel and the weight, I just would have to spend a bunch of money and still not be happy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ride itself, It is like riding an old hardtail. I feel every, and I do mean every bump in the road. I need to take a break if I am in-town after no more than 15 minutes. I had the rear shocks adjusted when they worked on the front forks, some minor improvement but not a lot.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
wonder if the previous owner went for heavy duty shocks and you arent heavy enough for them to work right- i would also have your shock adjustment looked at- might be set to tight

is your air pressure high in your tires

my 07 dyna has a smooth ride-haven't ridden yet with the new progressive fork springs and fat bob shocks

·
Curmudgeon
7,043 Posts
Tires over inflated? Seat solo? Solo's aren't comfortable from what I've been told. Shocks bad? How much do you weigh to heavy to small will effect the ride bike and shocks are adjusted for around 180 lbs. I believe.

I have an 09 low rider with full seat and shocks are adjusted 1 click from the lightest(bottom) and I weigh 200lbs. give or take.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
If you aren't ready to make the jump to a touring bike look at Progressive shocks front and rear. I had 444s on my '11 SuperGlide and loved them right up until I moved up to a Street Glide last year.

Back in 2014 I was in the same place you are. Hadn't ridden in 30 years. Got my SuperGlide in June of 2011 and traded it for the Street Glide in June of 2014.

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
Progressives are good, I run their monotubes on my bike.

But with the OP's sensitivity to bumps, Ohlins would be a better choice.

Cost more, but like the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my 07 bob - today i did 38 psi rear 30 front- with the new fork springs and shocks it rode like a dream on some real crappy roads- the springs are awesome- 25 mph crosswind on the highway and it was stable as all heck compared to before with stock fork springs

best part is the new 103 i did myself this winter didnt go kablooey -----yet-lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
It might be worth it to test ride a SG/RG. In my opinion they do not ride like a big bike and really are very responsive and sporty. Can't hurt to just give one a spin before you start throwing $ at your current scoot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No they are some forward and all have floor boards. With that said I think a spin on a SG/RG would make your decision more informed as to do the mods on a bike that it seems your not really happy with. Also might consider a Switchback model , a little smaller, comes with bags and a wind shield that are easily removable.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts