Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks this might sound weird but keep in mind this month will be my one year re-riding (for nearly 30 years) anniversary.

I've been riding as much as I can. I am finding out that when I am on the freeway, I tend to slow down on asphalt curves rather than lean more. When the lanes alternate between asphalt and concrete, I think I do better on the concrete.

Is there any basis that asphalt is "slipperier" than concrete? Or is this just a mental thing?

I'll be the first to admit. I don't know sh-- when it comes to riding and depend on you all to set me straight.

Comments welcome.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Totally mental, in my opinion.

Found this just poking around the internet:

"With regards to safety, asphalt roads provide better safety for vehicles. When compared to concrete roads, asphalt roads have better skid resistance and provide good traction. Snow melts faster on asphalt roads than on concrete roads."

Read more: Difference Between Concrete and Asphalt Roads | Difference Between | Concrete vs Asphalt Roads http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-concrete-and-asphalt-roads/#ixzz3hxvPZCsJ

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Honestly, do whatever makes you comfortable and you feel is within your limits. With asphalt, really watch out for those "snakes" where tar seeps out of cracks or where crews have repaired them with a ton of tar. When that stuff gets hot it gets slick as glass. I almost dumped my bike in a parking lot the other day because I hit the front brake while on one of those and I could feel the rear tire sliding on me when driving over them too. Be care when transitioning from one surface to another. You never know how well they did or didn't smooth the seam. The other tip I will give you is this: When you come to an area of road that has all those little lines cut in it, don't try and fight the bike. Let it ride in those little channels. It will feel really uneasy but it's safer to let the bike follow the grooves rather than tense up and try and fight it. Bridges are notorious for these. Most importantly, enjoy the ride!

-Rohan

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
I'll trade you some pot holes

Mis aligned man hole covers and missing valve shut off caps are a few of the wonderful things I dodge frequently down here.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Best to hit them when it has been raining for a while....that way you don't see them coming . :eek
That is also how they are patched, when they are full of water

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
In response to the original question. I don't worry about it being concrete or asphalt, only loose gravel, sand, oil, etc. or condition of the surface.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Back to the question at hand. I did some more poking around and asphalt is actually a better traction surface than concrete. Therefore, you shouldn't need to curb your "leaning" on asphalt vs. concrete.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
The surface I'm most wary of is aged blacktop. That surface started out as asphalt but with age the aggregate (small gauge gravel) has become more exposed and therefore your tires are riding on more rocks than asphalt. You can tell this because the color of the pavement lightens up with age. On this type of surface, I really pay attention to ANY moisture or loose material, especially in curves.

I like relatively new asphalt's traction factor. To me, concrete surfaces are the hardest to spot loose gravel, sand, etc., on because of the light color, but clean concrete is fine.

Continue to take it easy and always ride within the confidence level of your ability. Don't worry about trying to consciously increase your lean angles. That will come naturally with more experience.

--

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
When the temps get above 100 for weeks on end, the tar bubbles up on the old asphalt and can sling all over your bike. Then when you have a short summer shower, it can be like an ice rink on turns and stopping at lights.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I got one for ya, around here they skimmed a bunch of old asphalt off the interstate and ran a new layer over the top. For some reason they take weeks to put new lines down.

The on ramp I use has a left then right turn before coming to merge with the interstate. When lined, there is a small shoulder, a regular sized lane and a larger shoulder on the opposite side (I don't know why)

Without the lines, and especially in the dark, it is very difficult to track those curves. After a couple of times of finding myself way too close to both the outside and the inside of the curves, I take this ramp much slower!

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I live in western North Carolina; concrete paving is found mostly on interstate highways - surface streets tend to be asphalt. Tar snakes are something that you have to watch out for. Some of the back roads going to Lake Lure/Chimney Rock have excessive amounts of them. They aren't much of a problem for me when the roads are dry, but they require some adjustment to riding style when they are wet.

The surface quality of concrete paving tends to be more uniform than asphalt. In the summer, concrete is a much cooler surface to ride on than asphalt. Asphalt absorbs and holds a lot more heat than concrete.

A lot of issues that you can have with road surfaces can be improved by carefully selecting the tires that you put on your motorcycle, and of course, maintaining tire air pressure. I have Michelin Commander II tires on my 2009 Dyan Super Glide. They are really good tires, wet or dry. Pirelli Night Dragons are excellent tires with plenty of traction, though some riders report that they don't get much tread life out of them.

Pete

never liked concrete .... but that groved stuff in the rain is awesome

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Blacktop, concrete :dunno
Just stay the hell out of the center of the lane. The hotter the weather the worse the "ice rink effect" from leaked automotive fluids.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts