Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchases a 2009 Classic. I contacted HD customer service, and they were less than helpful.

I have a profound hearing loss, and wear hearing aids that the VA supplies. They also provide me with a device that can plug into any audio output and will transmit the audio directly into my hearing aids.

I wanted to know if they would provide me with the information on how I could wire up an output jack to my radio sysem so I could hear the radio. They were no help at all.

Can anyone on this forum give me a clue on how this can be done, or knows enough about the audio system on the bikes to get me started.

Thanks.

David

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
David you can get a product from your local car stereo dealer called a line output converter. i have done it many times in my own shop. i use the peripheral sven2. tap into the front speakers on your faring and wire the adaptor to a 1/8 audio jack. the SVEN2 has an adjustable output. i could send you the parts if you want and pre wire it but you need to install it. are you comfortable with taking off your faring? if so the only other thing i need is some specs from the device being attached. does it use a standard 1/8 stereo phono jack like a walkman or ipod would?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Streetnoyz,

Thanks for your response. I am definetly interested in your help. I have not problem taking off the fairing, and even doing some soldering if needed.

The plug I am using is the same size as the input plug on the Harley Radio. It measures, 9/16" from tip to base of plug, The tip is 1/8" and it is 1/8" wide. The first black band is wider than the second and they are 3/16" of an inch apart.

I can take my GPS output and plug into the radio and it works, the plugs I use for that are the same size as I show above.

When I plug into this will it cut of the speakers, which I would like to happen.

If you will let me know how much to send and an address I will do it right away, or I can send you something on PayPal if you happen to have an account.

I plan on mounting the plug in the black part of the fairing right up at the top near the left side speaker.

Thanks again for your advice and help.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
David we can cut out the speakers but we may have to add a toggle switch to do so. let me do some research on a part that may help. e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Parts needed are
1 1/8 panel mount stereo jack
1 on/off toggle switch
1 Peripheral electronics SVEN2
1 12vdc 12 pole spdt relay

i can pre wire all of this all you would have to do is interrupt the speaker leads, tap power and ground and mount the switch and jack. Btw do you have rear speakers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I do not have rear speakers. Hooking up the system should not be a problem. I may or may not put in the toggle switch, but would like to have the option.

When I plug this thing into my TV, or computer it cuts out the speakers automatically, so I was hoping for that. Otherwise I will probably just leave the speakers on. With the sound going directly into my hearing aids I don't have to keep the volumn up very high.

Thanks for your help.

My address is:

D. Devlin
1427 Kerry Drive
Sebring Florida 33875

David

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
These are some of the components i would use. it would work but will not bypass the speaker system. definitely a cheaper alternative. i like to add a 12 pole relay and bypass the speakers so theye ARE not working when the headphones are on. also the 1/8 jack i would rather have a panel mount that can be mounted to the faring instead of a pigtail. i also like the peripher electronics line converter. it is more versitile and more accurate. when you are talking about cutting the hi output down to a millivolt output that is connected to an earphone device it may be a better solution. check it out
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com?ProductId=173

parts should cost
35.00 for line converter
10.00 for phono jack
22.00 for 12 pole relay (for speaker switching)
8.00 for on/off switch
plus shipping
i can pre wire all of this and have the color codes for the factory wires.

just let me know and i can put together in an hour or so and ship.

good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

What you suggest sounds great. A couple of questions.

Am I correct that I will need to drill a hole in the black part of the fairing to accomodate the plug, and a seperate one for the switch?

I would like to put the plug above and to the right of the left speaker area. There is a small section right where the left side of the windshield ends.

Is the switch a small one that can be mounted somewhere that is inconspicious?

If you put lots of wire so I can make sure I have enough to put thing where I want and there is to much I am capable of unsoldering and shortening anything.

Let me know where to send the money, my guess is shipping via USPS priority will be around 5 or 6 dollars, plus if you need to have something shipped to you. If you have a paypal account we can use that.

Thanks for the help

David my email is [email protected]

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
yes you have to drill 2 holes. i have some 3/4 in round rocker switches that are black and look good. or i will try to find some smaller ones. i think radio shack had something the last time i was there. i will be busy until after x-mas i will e-mail you after the holidays if it is ok with you.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
David sorry i was away so long. do you still need the audio adaptor we were discussing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I am still hoping to be able to get something installed on my bike.

I keep forgetting to check this forum for your emails. Let me know what you need from me.

david

[email protected]

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
David i have the same problem not enough time to check the site. send me your address and phone number and i will make the part. i'll call you for the cc# or you can send me a check. parts are $75.00 let me know what time is convenient to call you keep in mind i am in california. maybe you should send these to my aol acct. [email protected]

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
parts shipping today. i e-mailed you your tracking #

1 - 15 of 15 Posts