Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a lot of research I can't seem to find this potential audio problem discussed anywhere.

My problem is with the HK stereo head unit on the Road Glide ULtra.

What I am trying to accomplish is to install an amplifier (200W...4 X 50W @ 2 ohms) in the fairing to power both the fairing speakers and the lower's speakers (this is to be able to use the Boom Audio speakers for the 2 ohm capability)

And then I would like to install a second amplifier under the tourpak (or in the tourpak or the saddlebags) of the same type to power the tourpak rear speakers and the saddlebag lid speakers. From what I have been able to find out so far is that I would not be able to use the wiring harness as it comes stock or even the other harness that you would be able to get with the audio speaker system that would power the 6 speaker system listed in the HD catalog.

I have a feeling I may have to go with an aftermarket head unit to achieve this...am I right or am I wrong?

Any thoughts?

Dennis

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Dennis more info is needed to answer your question. what make and model amp/amps are you installing? using the factory wiring is possible but may have to be modified in order to work. basically the head unit has four speaker outputs that are drivibg the four factory speakers. the amplifier can use these outputs to achieve the signal but depending on the amp i need to know how to hook up that signal. does the new amp take a high level input or low level (rca jacks)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Streetnoyz, thanks for your reply.

I was basing this on the Boom! Audio components available. Unfortunately in the 2012 Parts and Accessories guide the actual specifications for the amps are not available. I have assumed since it was used with the Boom! Audio speakers that they were 2 ohm rated.

I have seen the set up on the CVO Streetglide (for 6 speakers / no tourpak) and I would have thought that there would be 2 speaker outputs that were not used. But this supposedly is a newer and bigger amp X 2...again no specs given and have not been able to find any info on it as well (the CVO brochure states 2 400W amps for the Street Glide system driving 8 speakers but I believe that 2 of those 8 speakers are the tweeters replacing two of the gages in the fairing).

It would be nice to see how to order these two 400W amps and the wiring to go with them but do not know if they can be adapted to the Road Glide Ultra where I would want to be able to use the TourPak speakers as the 7th and 8th speaker and not use the infairing tweeters replacing those gages.

If this cannot be overcome then I may be open to getting an other than OEM system in but whether or not I want to "modify" the HK head unit...I'm just not sure at this point.

Somehow I feel if I did away with the HK head unit and replaced it with something more suitable (can not stand the thought that I have to "flash" it if I change speaker, fader or amp components) and I could probably just wire it up myself and be done with it...but I would prefer to go the Boom! Audio route first if it can be made to work.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Im sure the boom amps can be used in the configuration you are talking about. you would just have to connect the correct signal inputs. IE if the amp normally uses front and rear inputs just connect both inputs together on the same wires. the amp does not put a load on the radio it is the speakers that put a load on the amp. left front and rear posative in to left pos signal. right front and rear pos to right pos signal etc. just make sure the outputs are only connected to one speaker per channel.

·
Rides ALOT really!!
498 Posts
Another option is the hog tunes 40.4 amp
If you go to hog tunes web site there is a video about how to daisy chain the amps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle App

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
My god man... how much of a booming ass radio you need... might as well drive your car...all you need is some tunes you can hear....just enjoy the ride brother...:2cents

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For lakeforttx...just riding is fine for short trips and parts of long trips. But my recent 2600 mile trip on my Triumph to Iowa and down to Texas and back to Florida made me realize that I miss having my tunes available for enjoyment on occasion (as well as the cruise control and a tourpak which is why I am looking at the Road Glide Ultra).

The 8 speaker / 2 amp system is not made to "blow" everybody out but to have clear sound at high speeds without distortion or clipping and contrary to some of those who feel that you can't hear good sound at those speeds...I know different as I have had other bikes that were able to accomplish it with the stock system.

The "stock" Harley sound system is not very good at speeds over 50 to 60 mph. Going through a lot of audio threads on several Harley based forums has revealed that a lot of riders are hoping a simple change out of the stock speakers with a better set will work wonders. While they will sound better at lower speeds once you start encountering significant wind noise they will get overwhelmed. Usually an amp will correct this to a great extent. But if you divide the amp output into too many speakers the watts available go down proportionately. My solution is to have two amps, each powering 4 speakers and keeping the volume "position" at a minimal level to keep the sound from even getting into a minimal distortion/clipping zone for optimum stereo enjoyment.

Some people paint their bikes spending thousands of dollars, some hang chrome out the ying yang all over the bike...me...I prefer some decent sound to enjoy when wanted. If I want to enjoy the scenery I can always turn it off for awhile.

Dennis

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
To the O.P. - I know this doesn't quite answer your question, but don't overlook the offerings from J&M. I was able to sample Boom! and J&M systems, back-to-back, and I can tell you the Boom! system is not even in the same league as J&M. I own neither - I was at the NYC motorcycle show and tagging along with a friend who was interested. The Boom! stuff sounded taxed in comparison. If you're going for broke, and it sounds like you are, you'd be remiss if you didn't at least take a listen to J&M equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been looking at the J&M's as well...the only thing is I didn't see a lower fairing speaker on their listing.

Dennis

·
09 Street Glide
1 Posts
molinoman,
Sorry for the late response. i just recently joined the forum. You probably have already found this out by now, but in case you had not, J&M does have lower fairing speakers. part of their Rokker series. here is the site.

HLRK-7252GTM-T Product Information

I have the Rokkers on my 09 Street Glide. I love them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts