Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a couple of weeks ago. Relatively simple upgrade.
I installed a 125 Watt amp with two 6.5" Speakers. All from Arc Audio. This is called their MPAK6 upgrade. I got it from Eastern Performance for 499. Delivered.
The only thing I added was inside faring padding for better sound. I got it from J&M.

I have never done this before, but thought I would try.
Steps I took.
Read instructions, inventoried everything. Looked on Youtube. Got my trusty Service Manual out and looked up Faring and Tank removal. Inventoried needed tools. Bought a 1/2 to 3/8 socket reducer for my torques.

Before the start

Removed Seat and covered the bike then removed the tank and uncovered the battery. 4 bolts for the tank and a quick disconnect line for the gas line. Went real will until I pulled my lighting out that was attached to the tank. Oops. Repaired with 20lb two sided tape.

Removed the faring. Very easy. 7 bolts. Be careful to disconnect the headlight and not scratch anything.

Inspected the wiring before I touched anything and photographed just in case.

More to come

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I heard it and it sounded incredible!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran Power harness from battery though the faring. There is a place to put wiring that is covered under the tank. Sorry, no pic.

Tightened up the cables around the battery for easy future access to the fuse just in case my bass needs pop the fuse.

Removed the fuse, so I would not short anything out.

Wired the power to the amp. This pic is wrong, but I did not get a pic of the correct configuration until it was mounted (see below). The instructions were very poor for this part. This pics in the manual were not colored correctly either. Be careful. You can fry everything with incorrect power wiring.

Speaker harness wired into the amp.

Installed Velcro pad and mounted amp. Mounted with Velcro on top of the radio. Very cool and easy. Notice the order of the power wiring. This is correct. I triple checked this since I had not done it before.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ran the speaker harness to the appropriate areas. It was all color coded and sized which was pretty cool. The instructions were perfect on this part. Buttoned everything up wit zip ties. Nicer than the way is comes from the factory. Reviewed everything and referenced previous pics. Looked for anything additional that could be worn. Looked good.

Pulled the wimpy stock speakers, mounted the speaker coupling that allows a larger speaker.

Put stabilizer bracket in and hooked speaker wire harness up to the speakers and old stock wiring. A little strange, but the instructions were very clear.

A pick of the bad boys installed.

Tank was reattached as soon as I was finished running the power harness.

Hooked into the battery and put fuse in and buttoned the battery area back.

At this point, I tested the setup before putting the faring back on.

Dialed in the amp. three adjustment knobs. Went across the street against the neighbors house and was satisfied.

Installed the faring padding. Sorry, no pic.

FYI, putting the faring back on was a bugger. The two bolts inside of the forks kept falling out. Finally, put tape on them and secured them into the mounting. Peeled the tape back with the screw driver. Defiantly a blind screw job.

All buttoned up and functioning. Need to do a sound clip, but I can tell you, it is superior to stock and not that hard to do.

Total time was 4 hours, but two was because of the faring learning curve.

All in all, I am very pleased with the product for the price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice job on the upgrade. Looks good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Audio is tough for me. I just expect so much. I have to come to reality that its 2 speakers in an open cockpit going 70mph. I have gone through 3 sets of speakers and 2 different amps. I just expect more every change I make.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Audio is tough for me. I just expect so much. I have to come to reality that its 2 speakers in an open cockpit going 70mph. I have gone through 3 sets of speakers and 2 different amps. I just expect more every change I make.
I agree. With wind, quality will not be as good as an enclosed vehicle for anything. The audio fits my daily needs, but let's face the music. The wind will distort.

I do believe my best setup for any vehicle is my silverado with Bose speakers. Not even sure who did the other stuff, but the speakers are extraordinary. Warm surround that pumps as much bass as I ever want. Lol

Of course, there is my vintage ampeg I use for my bass when I want to rattle my windows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts