Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for me to take a 2003 XLC Sportster & swap the stock clutch for an automatic clutch & suicide shifter? Or is it more work than simply swapping one for the other?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
My question is if you put in an automatic clutch why the need for suicide shifter? Recluse is a brand I’ve heard a lot of people go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well only because I like the look of the shifter, & with the automatic clutch rolling up to lights and stop signs will be easy not having to pop the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have ran these auto clutches on motocross bikes a few times. Hated them when they first came out. But the newer ones are pretty refined the one in that video looked pretty smooth. . The big down side is if you ever need to roll start the bike. Well ya can’t lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it possible for me to take a 2003 XLC Sportster & swap the stock clutch for an automatic clutch & suicide shifter? Or is it more work than simply swapping one for the other?
Swapping out for a Rekluse is pretty much the same thing as installing a new clutch. They're not inexpensive at $850, but the benefits are nice.

·
Try'n to behave
5,967 Posts
OK, so here is me being cynical;

First off, the shift is not what is referred to as "Suicide", it's the clutch...meaning its a foot clutch, but specifically the suicide clutches are the old style Harley foot clutches that the clutch engaged and the foot pedal is locked. The reason they are called "suicide" is because the lock had a bad habit of failing and causing the bike to jump forward and either rearending the car in front of you or throwing you out into traffic.

What you are seeing in that video is a hand shifter with what I would generally surmise is a no stall clutch, not an automatic because you still have to shift apparently. Being in the location it is, generally referred to as a tank mounted hand shift, vs a jockey shift, which sits low and behind the riders leg and when being used makes the rider look as if he were a jockey whipping his horse through the fourth turn at Belmont.

Another thing I have seen in the past is the tank mounted hand shift with the clutch lever mounted to it and you squeeze the lever like you normally would, but just on the shift handle.

Personally, I see no real reason to have that clutch unless you want an old school look but lack the confidence to learn to ride a foot clutch (it's not as hard as people think, just a little tricky to learn on hills)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
^^^^^^^^ What Pred8er wrote, with one little personal opinion. I associate the "suicide" clutch as the stock rocker foot clutch being replaced with a spring pedal that operates like a car. No possibility of both feet on the ground with bike running in gear. But different locales have different definitions. Thanks to Jr. on American Choppers, a hand shift of any kind is now called a suicide shift.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK, so here is me being cynical;

First off, the shift is not what is referred to as "Suicide", it's the clutch...meaning its a foot clutch, but specifically the suicide clutches are the old style Harley foot clutches that the clutch engaged and the foot pedal is locked. The reason they are called "suicide" is because the lock had a bad habit of failing and causing the bike to jump forward and either rearending the car in front of you or throwing you out into traffic.

What you are seeing in that video is a hand shifter with what I would generally surmise is a no stall clutch, not an automatic because you still have to shift apparently. Being in the location it is, generally referred to as a tank mounted hand shift, vs a jockey shift, which sits low and behind the riders leg and when being used makes the rider look as if he were a jockey whipping his horse through the fourth turn at Belmont.

Another thing I have seen in the past is the tank mounted hand shift with the clutch lever mounted to it and you squeeze the lever like you normally would, but just on the shift handle.

Personally, I see no real reason to have that clutch unless you want an old school look but lack the confidence to learn to ride a foot clutch (it's not as hard as people think, just a little tricky to learn on hills)
When I hear someone say "suicide shift" my brain automatically interprets it as they want a suicide clutch and a jockey shift.

I've watched the video he's posted a few times before. You're correct, the setup he has is a no-stall clutch.I don't remember if he has a clutch mechanism of any kind, but he could also be rev-matching as well. I remember the video, but not verbatim.

I agree. It's a cool, old-school look, but barring a physical limitation - if someone wants that look, they should learn to ride it properly. Any cred would be lost once others found out about the no-stall clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts