Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of us gathered to ride Pikes Peak country, check out the status of the color transition from summer to autumn, and check out the semi-ghost town of Guffey.

First pause is on the Hwy 67 ascent to Cripple Creek...

Looking back from what we just rode through...

And on the hillside above the bikes...

The next pullover is a look at the backside of Pikes Peak. Well, OK, first a pic of the bike hogging the view...

Now focusing on a not frequently seen side of Pikes Peak, the south side. Can note the zig zag of the Pikes Peak dirt "highway" at the top. Here, peak colors are still a week or two away...

We make it to Guffey and park the bikes...

Guffey is an eclectic place with a fraction of the population it once boasted of. There's maybe 2-3 dozen remaining structures and most are of the original log or wood frame construction from over 100 years ago...

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check out some of the autos parked around...

Hey, how about this. A Harley-Davidson/AMF golf cart. Well, at least this is what was told me. The nameplate appeared authentic...

One reason for Guffey as a destination, we had heard about someone erecting horse skeletons pulling a carriage. Well, here you go, and there's fur still on them bones!...

And lunch outside next to the horses with a lot of meat on the bones. A great autumn ride...

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
Steve I was just searching through the threads you've started looking for a certain picture and I stumbled across this thread. I don't know how I missed it before. Some great pictures here!!!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,174 Posts
Now I ask you, is Buzz Kanter's AIM staff ever going to ever find a colorful day trip article as good as that ? I mean I know they wouldn't want a cut and paste article, maybe it's supposed to be harder than that, but damn, could they get a better finished product?

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
LD, NG... Thanks. We still talk about that ride. It is what it's about isn't it?

Vic... Hope you're having some fine days off!

Steve
So far every day has either been chilly or raining :( I've got a little riding in, but not nearly as much as I was hoping for. I've had plenty of time with my two wonderful girls, which has been a headache and also a great time! I don't have to go back to work untill sunday, so we better have some nice weather this week!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Steve..I was directed here by someone on the RKR site.I understand you reside around Conifer Colorado.I just moved up here to Morrison..on rt285 just north of Windy Point.
Just a hello...Scott

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Scott, Thanks for the message! I'm in rural Park County, about 15 minutes from Bailey. Send me a PM when you note this, and let's connect this season on two wheels.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts