Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Now that was close!!!!!Could`nt even tell if there was anything on the road for all the dust.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
L-O-A-D S-H-I-F-T.

Ouch.

I used to clean those things up for a living. Now it's a TV show....

Who'da thought.....

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,215 Posts
I had a buddy who thought stopping the shade to the side of a tractor trailer rig while sitting stuck in traffic was a handy way to escape the brutally bright/hot Texas sun, except for the guy coming up behind him who had to lock up his brakes and skid madly because he did not see the Ultra in the shade...

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Yikes! I'm going to have to start keeping both eyes open. Hope the trucker was alright.

·
Steve
262 Posts
That happened on Hwy 80 about halfway between Truckee and Sacramento. There are a series 55 MPH turns going downhill and they mean 55 MPH. I travel it weekly and it always seems they are fixing the guard rails.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
i am alway s cautious around the big trucks..

i get around them as fast as i can and stay out of their way even in my tiny car

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,215 Posts
this should give ya a good reason to control the trafic arond ya
How easy it would have been to be someone who was heeding the warning and slowing down, and unknowingly be overtaken on the curve by the driver who was not. The camera vehicle was just 4 seconds from being in that position.

The truck driver might have made the curve if he'd used both lanes, trying to stay in his own lane made it impossible to make the curve at that speed...

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
In Europe our trucks are electronically limited to 56mph, in reality they get set up with almost bald tyres so when good tyres go on they go perhaps 58 mph. On a divided highway with three lanes trucks are only allowed in the two slower lanes and passing is only allowed in the UK on the right, in mainland Europe it's only on the left. I doubt our trucks get 10% the blow outs US trucks do.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Seen that happen a lot round Donner.
Those type of grades combined with a sharp curve or two can spell disaster when your GVW is 80,000 pounds.
A lot of people don't realize that if you aren't in a low enough gear on a 6% grade you are relying on brakes only and when they start to heat the brake drums expand losing brake capabilities hence the need for run away ramps.
Is it just me or did the guy with the dash cam keep on going?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I came off that hill with a 65 Ford 1/2 ton pulling a pickup box trailer
loaded down with My Brothers move back to Montana household equipment.
65 Ford had something to be desired as far as brakes went from the factory.
I started off the top in second gear and before I got to the bottom the brakes were non existent and smoking like a bbqer about ready to burst into flames.There was a huge pucker factor involved.:rofl::rofl:
I was wondering if that biker stopped also too.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In Europe our trucks are electronically limited to 56mph, in reality they get set up with almost bald tyres so when good tyres go on they go perhaps 58 mph. On a divided highway with three lanes trucks are only allowed in the two slower lanes and passing is only allowed in the UK on the right, in mainland Europe it's only on the left. I doubt our trucks get 10% the blow outs US trucks do.
88b... I've noticed this on your side of the pond... more lane discipline with trucks, slower speeds, etc. Here, trucks are often in all lanes at all kinds of speeds. It is routine to hear on radio traffic reports, of large trucks overturned. Yesterday it was a large beer truck overturned.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, couldn't tell if the person recording was going to stop. To be sure, looked like a serious accident, with the truck going through the guard rail, then over and down. As noted above... just a few seconds separated the two vehicles. A reminder to constantly check the rear view mirrors and avoid hanging around big trucks anywhere.

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
88b... I've noticed this on your side of the pond... more lane discipline with trucks, slower speeds, etc. Here, trucks are often in all lanes at all kinds of speeds. It is routine to hear on radio traffic reports, of large trucks overturned. Yesterday it was a large beer truck overturned.
How much beer were you able to get?

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
I've been so frustrated driving in America, sometimes 4 or 5 lanes and vehicles all doing the same speed. Police here are now ticketing drivers for not moving out of the middle lane

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
I've been so frustrated driving in America, sometimes 4 or 5 lanes and vehicles all doing the same speed. Police here are now ticketing drivers for not moving out of the middle lane
That irritates me as well. That and people talking on their damm cell phone while driving.

·
Steve
262 Posts
In California it is illegal to talk on a cell phone unless its hands free and on January 1 no texting anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts