Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
My eyesight isn't what it used to be my refex's aren't as fast I'm not very experianced, sure what the hell I'll ride at night.:cupcake

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Personally, I love riding on a warm night. There's something about the rumble enhanced when it is dark all around, the lights glowing off the chrome. While I don't ride at night often, I will do so, but recognize the need to be on extra alert.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I've read and heard some folks recommend avoiding riding at night because it is simply too dangerous.

What do you say?
Risky times would be around bar closing time in your area .
other than that and Bambi road crossing areas I like it better.
Traffic is usually less than a third of daytime levels.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I've read and heard some folks recommend avoiding riding at night because it is simply too dangerous.

What do you say?
Nothing to do with danger. It's just any normal human being has far better things to do at night than riding.

Scuse me - I'll rephrase that.......................

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I think that a bike is more noticeable at night than in daylight with proper lighting.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
I really enjoy riding at night, even driving at night. I think I might prefer it.

Long ago I noticed that driving at night allows a higher level of attention to details in your immediate surroundings, I guess since you can't see off to the horizon in all directions, you aren't having to filter out all of that less than immediately relevant visual detail.

That's really one of the most astonishing aspects of the human suite of physical, sensory and mental abilities, the level of real-time detail image processing, first to get a jillion tidbits of visual data thru the eye is truly a marvel of engineering, but to on the fly filter and decide w/o any real focus or discernible effort what is important visual detail and what is clutter. Your eye has equal visibility of thousands of pieces of clutter on the sides of the road, but clearly discerns a small piece of metal laying in the road as a threat in time to avoid it.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Having seen the deer in Arkansas and hill country in Texas I'd be concerned about that, but I don't mind riding in the dark.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Stinking Miller Moths,Where`d they all come from??:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I prefer riding at night,Less traffic,cooler temps and add the humidity of the night air helps on the combustion and power factor.:ride:ride:ride

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing to do with danger. It's just any normal human being has far better things to do at night than riding.

Scuse me - I'll rephrase that.......................
It is always great to hear from you Pete!:thumb

·
Registered
40,746 Posts
I think I like riding at night more than during the day.

Less zombies out at night.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Riding at night, love it. I get at least ten times more protein then day rides. I like butterflys' the best. They taste sweet. :woo

·
Registered
284 Posts
I work 2nd shift and get off at 11 at night. Its a 45 minute ride home. No problems... The worst I've ever come across is a dining room table that lifted off of a car three lanes over. Just missed my head...

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a tremendous amount of 4-legged road hazards in our area. If I do ride at night it is mostly coming home from somewhere that I've stayed late. And it is usually close to town at lower speeds. We've had several riders killed in our area that hit deer after dark. And I always hate cleaning the dang bugs off the next day! But it is true you are easier to see as the lights show up better and the bike runs better with the cooler air.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No doubt about it, night riding is more dangerous, It is really easy to overdrive your headlight and then you got all those creatures that like to roam around jumping out into the road way.

Still I drive at night but not as willingly as during the day, and I avoid 10:00 - 12:00 pm if at all possible. especially on Friday & Sat. nite

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Having seen the deer in Arkansas and hill country in Texas I'd be concerned about that, but I don't mind riding in the dark.
Actually the highest rate of deericide are in the northeastern states and the Great Lakes states. Texas does fair but it's a big state too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts