Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather FINALLY broke yesterday, so we took a ride down to Valley Racing, in Beecher, IL to retrieve the Large Blue Barge.

Brian Conley himself did the tuning, and was able to get her to a pretty damn sweet spot. All I know is, before I would grab a handful of throttle, hear a lot of noise, and that was about it.

Now, I grab a handful and she just hunkers down and PULLS... with a very satisfying, not-too-loud rumble. Ohhhh goodness, does she PULL!

And better yet, where before I would only get about 120 miles out of a tank... I had a little less than half left at 130 miles.

Unfortunately, the good times came to a premature halt this morning. Was en route to my favorite breakfast spot in Kenosha (www.franksdinerkenosha.com) when we went straight on into a ginormous CRATER in the concrete. Bottomed out the suspension and completely blew the top seal in my left fork. DOT-whatever-fluid was EVERYWHERE... my gloves, jacket, saddlebags, tank... and after we got back to the house and pulled the lower part of the fairing, I saw that the hose wasn't even THERE any more.

So spent the rest of the afternoon watching John put a Sportster back together. Can you guess the year?

Attachments

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Nice numbers on your dyno.

My guess on the Sporty, '73

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
That's great your happy with the bike!!!

I'm not very bright when it comes to the year of bikes, but I'll guess '76

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Great news on the motor. Not so great on the seal. What tube are you talking about?
Hey, Franks diner looks like a great spot!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Oh, I'm not great at this but I see a front disc and rear drum so I'll guess 1977

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess on the Sporty, '73
Sir, you are correct!

Drum rear, right-side shift... what were the other clues?

EZ... left fork top seal and the hydro assembly (don't hold me to it but I believe it's got something to do with the anti-dive stuff).

I was so busy looking at where I was going that I didn't see the pavement opening up 3 feet in front of me - bad, bad Kim!

And Frank's rocks. The place is jam-packed and it's definitely not a place to go if you're in a hurry but the place is super friendly and the breakfast ROCKS. I usually get a home-made cinnamon roll for starters and then a "baby Stuffer" - two egg omelet with all the good veggies. I stopped ordering the 3-egg variety because I'd have to take a nap by the time I got home!

It would be my pleasure to take ya'all there if you ever find yourself in the Chicago area.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Sounds like the motor, at least, is up to snuff. Spring is right around the corner. I'll be in Chicago (by the airport) in a couple of weeks. Love to buy you a drink one night, if you are anywheres near there.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the motor, at least, is up to snuff. Spring is right around the corner. I'll be in Chicago (by the airport) in a couple of weeks. Love to buy you a drink one night, if you are anywheres near there.
Absolutely! Let me know when and I will do my darndest to be in town!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
KBO... Great news! Despite the fork seal. At least this will be an easier repair than what you went through with the engine. Spring and the riding season is here. Nice engine you have there as the Dyno reports.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Sir, you are correct!

Drum rear, right-side shift... what were the other clues?
Combination of the drum rear with a disk front, and right side shift pretty well narrowed it down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts