Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '02 Low Rider with 500 miles on it. I have not ridden it very much, only a couple hundred miles, but it doesn't run that well. I was told it had a stage 1 set up... AC, exhaust, and carb re jet.

Here's what it does: It runs great at higher RPMs. It feels like ample power, way more than my 883 anyway. Right off idle when I accelerate, every once in a while it will pop thru the AC and sometimes even stall. If I goose the throttle just sitting in the driveway to rev it, sometimes it will pop thru the AC and die. It's hard to keep idling when it's cold.

The other day I let it warm up in the garage for 5 or 10 mins. with the choke on, at about 2k RPMs. When I came out the pipes were glowing orange. I don't know what kind of pipes they are. They look like a cheap version of the V&H short shots. They don't have heat shields, or they're like integrated in the pipe, and the pipes are blue several inches down from the head.

The mixture screw was about 3 turns out. It didn't like being turned in any more. I gave it another half turn out for 3 1/2 turns. It seemed to like it, the idle increased, but the same symptoms remain. The plugs look clean.

What should I do to begin here? I don't even know what kind of carb it is. I guess a rebuild and tear down of the carb to see what exactly I have is in order?

Thanks in advance!

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
The mixture screw should only be out 1.5 - 2 turns. Either the pilot jet is partially plugged or it's to small, should be a #48 for your setup.
Also leaking intake seals will cause the pop back through the AC and cause a lean condition.
The stock carb for your bike is the Keihin CV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you very much! I sprayed Brakeclean with a straw where the intake meets the head for both cylinders, and the idle came up noticeably. But, I wonder if it was just getting the fumes into the AC? It's hard to say for sure...

It definitely idled worse, or wouldn't idle at all with the screw in that far. Is the pilot jet the jet for the idle circuit?

I don't want to take things apart until I am prepared with some parts. At least, more prepared than having nothing. Should I order a rebuild kit for the carb.?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Replace the two intake manifold seals (item 3 in the illustration) and the seal ring (item 4).

Carb Illustration:

OEM Parts Finder Granite State Harley-Davidson Lebanon, NH (603) 448-4664

You may not need a rebuild kit, but it is a good thing to always have one on hand just in case you need to replace something.

Disassemble the carb and clean it out with carb cleaner. Be careful when you remove the low speed mixture jet, there is a tiny o ring, a washer and spring that can disappear...

Replace the fuel hose, it may be breaking down and sending debris into the carb.

Remove the fuel shutoff petcock and clean the screen.

A good source for CV carb parts : CV Performance | Harley Carburetor and Motorcycle Parts

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
The rebuild kit will give ya everything you need except the pilot jet. The pilot jet is the slow idle jet. Also sounds like the intake seals are leaking and need replacing. The idle shouldn't change at all when squirting around the seals ... unless the squirt gets into the AC of course.
J&P sells a decent rebuild kit for cheap too and includes a new accelerator pump diaphragm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I took everything apart. Here is what I have:
Small burn on the white plastic part of the slide. Problem?
Shorter, lighter slide spring, just shy of 5 1/2" vs. the stock 5 3/4"
Adjustable needle with the E clip somewhere towards the middle slot and 3 washers.
180 main jet, and 45 slow jet. I understand it should have a 190 main stock.

I still need to check the slide for being over-drilled. Let me know what you think about what I have and what I should do. Again, this thing is, to my knowledge, stock with an SE AC and pipes. To me it seems like it may be set up a little rich. Plus I will be replacing the intake seals, which I believe were sucking air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts