Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 year old sporty that has taken some sun and age abuse. The clear coat is yellowing and peeling. The metal that is not is scarred with water stains look terrible. The heads have the black paint worn away as well as the head cover has the clear coat peeling as well and this makes the bike really show it's age. I would like to fix this and dress it up. What would you all reccomend? I like the looks of the sandblasted type look on the crank and other covers. Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
My brother had his heads and cylinders redone by his dealer for a reasonable price. He has a reasonable dealer tho. For the non black stuff, I would strip off the remaining clear coat and polish them. It will mean more upkeep on those parts, but it will look better IMO.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It's not "Clear coat"...it's clear Powerdercoating. It's a motherf*cker to get off, although aircraft stripper will work.

It needs to be removed, then polish the aluminum, like Dean said.

I've done 2 engines so far, and will probably not do the third to gain the hat-trick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you reccomend to polish them? Where would I be able to find aircraft stripper? Dave, that does not sound fun at all. Is there a different or better alternative at this point? The finish does look shot though.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
It's not "Clear coat"...it's clear Powerdercoating. It's a motherf*cker to get off, although aircraft stripper will work.

It needs to be removed, then polish the aluminum, like Dean said.

I've done 2 engines so far, and will probably not do the third to gain the hat-trick.
Dave, aircraft stripper? is it like thinner or someting ,or acetone ?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
No....It's the brand sold at auto supply stores and it's a volitile paint stripper that burns your skin if you get it on you......

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=12814

Powdercoating is more durable then paint and will laugh at Acetone.

My forks were just like his when I git the bike. It comes from leaving the bike outside and moisture getting in tiny stone chipped areas.

I took the forks off, sanded off the powdercoating and paint. (Yes....your forks are painted silver, then clear powedercoated. They're NOT polished undernieth)

I used an air die grinder with 3M pads on it, then 400 grit, then began sanding the with 1000 up to 2000 grit, using WD40 as a cutting oil, before polishing them.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
You might check out HD Engine remanufacture and see if they will rebuild and refinish the whole thing cheaper and faster than you can.
In the meantime you can work on the rolling chassis.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You might check out HD Engine remanufacture and see if they will rebuild and refinish the whole thing cheaper and faster than you can.
In the meantime you can work on the rolling chassis.
Repowdercoating the engine would require it's complete disassembly, as it has to be stripped, repowdercoated then baked at 300*+ to cure.

It would be cheaper to buy chrome parts to replace the others, if you don't strip them yourself.

Stripping engine parts isn't hard, and quite easy doing it on the bike, if you take your time. I did my other sporty's motor, and then painted the engine case black, with polished rockers and side cases.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Repowdercoating the engine would require it's complete disassembly, as it has to be stripped, repowdercoated then baked at 300*+ to cure.

It would be cheaper to buy chrome parts to replace the others, if you don't strip them yourself.

Stripping engine parts isn't hard, and quite easy doing it on the bike, if you take your time. I did my other sporty's motor, and then painted the engine case black, with polished rockers and side cases.
I'd argue harder if we knew the mileage on the engine dont think GrnSpty has ever mentioned it. Dependin on your shop facilities or friends with cool stuff. cost for tooling up could easily send it to reman. Unexpected expenses like replacing your wifes carpet and stuff, or a new kitchen table cause the oil stains wont come out.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
PS ,Ive cooked powder in the wifes oven and lived to tell.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Dependin on your shop facilities or friends with cool stuff. cost for tooling up could easily send it to reman.
You've got a point, Vlade. If it were only rocker boxes, clutch cover and cam/sprocket cover, that could be done relatively cheap, even with removal, gaskets and time.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
LOL since GS90 is determined to work on the bike rather than ride it.
I dont know where friigen Surprise AZ is but Pheonix has MMI he might considered taking himself and the bike through the course. May come out even further ahead that way.:stir

Get an Obamba edu. grant and actually do something useful with the Stimuless packet money.:banana

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
....and actually do something useful with the Stimuless packet money.:banana
Let's not talk crazy now...........

I know I'm going to look into sensitivity training.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW Dave, forks look great. One heck of a job.
Vlade, I would like to have the engine remanned but not in the stars right now, pretty strapped. I do want to ride my bike instead of dicking around with it, that's what really pisses me off, but I have to rebuild my leaking forks first. This finish stuff is just cosmetic. I have 38,000 Mi. on it currently. Surprise is just outside of Phoenix. That is actually a great idea about MMI.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
WOW Dave, forks look great. One heck of a job.
Vlade, I would like to have the engine remanned but not in the stars right now, pretty strapped. I do want to ride my bike instead of dicking around with it, that's what really pisses me off, but I have to rebuild my leaking forks first. This finish stuff is just cosmetic. I have 38,000 Mi. on it currently. Surprise is just outside of Phoenix. That is actually a great idea about MMI.
I couldnt sell ya a reman any how with only 38K. Arizona dust probably got to your forks it always did thats why retro fitting rubber boots like they have on the newer sportys wouldnt hurt.
You can do like dave suggested and buy box tops and covers, probably ebay em, and replace. HMM I wonder if a late model wreck
might switch out forks with your classic. Be hard to find a Sporty wrecked from the rear I'd guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brutas, it is. I'm about 20 minutes from Glendale.
Vlade good idea about the boots, or even another front end. Yeah it get's a little hot, dry and dusty here. Especially where it spent the first 10 years. Do the chrome covers look ok? I am sure they'll look a hell of a lot better than what I have now, was just wondering if they looked kinda of cheesy.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I use to live there back in the late 80s I hear ist so over populated now is that true? You can always paint your forks.Silver or color match the paint.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts