Harley Davidson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little more involved and of course, louder. Using the same tapered mufflers, now we're going to gut these things a little more, yet leave a nice, clean can, with a much louder, yet not trashy sounding exhaust.

Stock baffles... You've seen them, now let's remove them.

With this mod, you'll need some tools. I attempted to use a hole saw, but due to the hardness and taper of the end of the baffles, it was an effort and cost me a saw-bit.

I opted to drill individual holes, then connect them.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A very deep amd low tone at idle, nice at cruising and a decent, but not obnoxious cracking at full throttle. Almost a little too quiet for me, but nice for others. It's a great improvement over stock and will wake up a stock bike with a tad more added fuel.

I forgot to finish.....

After cutting through the steel baffle's edge between the holes, (not hard at all) the baffle tube slides right out the tapered end. Be advised, it'll only go so far, as the end closest towards the header is larger then the tapered opening. This is going to take little effort to collapse and get out.

Here's the baffle core hanging out..

Once pulled out, bend it at the end of the can, and break it off. You can cut it, or bend it back and forth and it'll break on its own.

Once out, I found it easier to collapse the final piece of baffle, then knock it out the tapered end with the same tool I knocked out the deflector plate with. Take advantage of this time to move the baffle around and smooth out the exiting end, to make it a nice smooth exiting hole.

Once out, you have an open, much louder, but good sounding muffler for about 20-30 minutes work, per can. Remapping might be required depending on your elevation, current A/F mixture or air cleaner application. Remember: All mods are done at the risk of the owner.

Tapered end:

Header end:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.