Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 1200 Custom with Screamin' Eagle mufflers, Stage 1 SE air cleaner and jets. I know the SE II pipes have easily removable baffles, and I know some of the downsides to drag pipes, but these pipes are barely louder than stock pipes. I really want to get that classic roar without a lot of performance loss so my question (or questions) is:
1. Should I remove the baffles from these pipes?
2. I have a box of jets that came with the bike (all mods were installed by previous owner) but I am not sure if it's been jetted, if not could I (should I) jet the carb myself?
3. I know that one way to gain some back pressure is to put a bolt in the drag pipes, that way I keep torque and keep the sound, any ideas how I could place a bolt in the pipes without drilling a hole (assuming I remove the baffles)?

The gent I bought my bike from said they were SE pipes, but here they are online http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302286607&bmUID=1225736659409&bmLocale=en_US and I'm not sure they're SE pipes anymore...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
would it be at all possible to remove most of the baffle but leave a portion in? What do you think of the bolt idea? I really appreciate the advice, I think the respect on this forum is a perfect example of how most motorcyclists treat each other and it's really neat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same Thing

I have exactly the same setup on my bike. My bike has that Harley sound with the SE pipes. As far as the jetting, if you received extra jets, odds are they are the stock jets and the bike was re-jetted when the pipes where added. With all the first stage mods, I am told, the bike wouldn't run correctly if it wasn't re-jetted. Check the numbers inscribed on the jets that will also tell you if they stock. I just test drove a 09 Fat Bob and my sporty was louder than the stock Fat Bob. I am surprised you are not happy with the sound from those SE pipes. If the baffles can be removed and re-installed if you don't like it try it, but my guess is the bike isn't going to perform well. I would think you will lose a lot of low end torque. Just my guess though. Good luck.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
If you remove them put a set of Torque cones in. and the baffels you pull out should have a bolt hole for em in the pipes already it could be a rivit and you will have to drill the rivit to get the baffels out.

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
okay guys, I have the same question ... mine is an 02 with what seems to be screaming eagle stage II pipes yet they also have the baffles.

The baffles are rivited in so would i no longer be able to put them back if I take them out or should i just leave them in ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi NLM2889! I'm no expert by no means, but I wouldn't advise taking the baffles out. I thought about that with mine and decided against it after all the negative feedback. I bought some Ultima twin slash drag pipes off ebay really cheap (new) and put em on myself! You have to buy the torque cones too though. The person I bought my pipes from actually had those for sale too and gave me a little bit of a discount for buying both. She sounds awesome now!! Plenty of power and all! I was thinking about the SE pipes and even HD told me I wasn't going to get the sound I wanted out of those. They told me V&H pipes/mufflers but I found those to be very pricey so I ended up getting what I have and I love them!! I did go on YouTube and searched for my particular bike with various brands of pipes just so I could hear how they sounded. That was helpful as well as interesting to boot. Just thought I would throw that out there for you. Just don't think it's a good idea taking the baffles out....at least not in the longrun anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
^i Agree with the big city thunder baffles. I have them in my fat boy with Vance and Hines short shots and I love the sound!

·
2,327 Posts
it goes on and on and.....:rofl:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts