Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never dealt with Screaming Eagle stuff before. Is there suppose to be a removeable baffle in a screaming eagle pipe set for a 2000 883. (with 1200 upgrade)? This bike I purchased used and there doesn't appear to be anything in there and it is a little louder than I would like.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,415 Posts
I'd just rig it.

A baffle is very low tech, nothing more than a smaller pipe you can bolt inside the muffler tube, with slots hacksawed about a third of the way thru the pipe, and then use a screw-driver or punch to bend the sawed part inwards a bit to divert the exhaust flow. There is bound to be a hole or pair of holes where the old baffle was removed. The smaller pipe doesn't even need to fit well. You just want to confuse the flow of exhaust a bit.

For example, if the inside diameter of the muffer barrel is 2 1/2" I'd go to AutoZone and get a 2" x 1 1/2" exhaust pipe reducer for about $2, saw a slot in the reduced diameter, bend a spoon shaped baffle toward the inside, drill a hole in the larger diameter for a fastener, stick a bolt about 1" long thru from the inside to the outside, and lock it down very tight with a nut, leaving enough bolt to stick out thru the muffler body and secure with a second nut, the whole deal will cost less than $10

1 - 4 of 4 Posts