Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 11 inch sissy bar luggage rack. have a bag I like very much but as it is 14/15 inches long, it sags down and mostly covers the plate. I like the bag as I can fit my work stuff in it and my helmet.
anyone know of longer sissy bar luggage rack or a bag big enough to fit a helmet but not so long as to sag? not a fan of saddle bags at this point.
recommendations appreciated, thank you.
p.

·
On the loose
8,719 Posts
Make a rigid support that goes under your bag , or one that will fit inside the bag.

I have a round luggage rack style bag that I put plastic bucket lids in each end then cut a sheet of 1/8 in vinyl the length of the bag and half the diameter , pushed it in-between the lids till it popped into lid groves. Keeps the bag expanded and rigid.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I must admit that after I read the topic of this post I was pretty scared that you had met my ex-wife.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make a rigid support that goes under your bag , or one that will fit inside the bag.

I have a round luggage rack style bag that I put plastic bucket lids in each end then cut a sheet of 1/8 in vinyl the length of the bag and half the diameter , pushed it in-between the lids till it popped into lid groves. Keeps the bag expanded and rigid.
interesting. I used wood and velcro. still sags even tho the wood was pretty precision cut. front part of bag hangs. down past the wood. can't figure out how to keep the front part rigid. eeeg gads, that comment is gonna bring out the 12 year old brain in all of us.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sorry, my first thought was this,

·
Registered
279 Posts
A little late to the game, but just wanted to make a statement about a Saddlemen experience I had. I had a set of their drifter jumbo saddlebags on my 08 Vulcan 2000. While they looked good and was "rigid" to begin with, over 4 months or so the heat cause the stiff plastic that lined the bags to start to sag, especially the one on the pipe side. I took 1/8" x 1" aluminum and made a frame. Here are some quick pics.

Before

Frame

After. The lid covers the screws when shut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts