Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals!!

So I am the proud new owner of a 2009 Super Glide. I'm starting to think about bags for the longer trips. I'm definitely going to go with a quick detach setup, I had Viking Bags on my Sporty that I just sold and absolutely loved them. Wondering if anyone out there has had any good experiences with any other bag maker?

Also, PICS WOULD BE SOOOO AWESOME, as I'm lookin for ideas!! :D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
leather pro on my 07fxdwg but they were not cheap but have held up very well and they can be locked or quick disconnect but still have bracket showing

·
Registered
751 Posts
I got HD bags when I bought my bike. Pic in my avatar. They were up till recently rigidly mounted. I switched to a quick disconnect, and glad I did for several reasons. I forget the brand of mounts I bought, but the packaging is still in the garage if you really want to know what I used.

My bags are the black vinyl covered plastic shells. They are big, and I can stuff a lot in them. Only downside is there is zero security as the flaps are held down with Velcro. I've been able to take some trips that I could pack a few days worth of clothes.

Biggest downfall...They aren't cheap. I think I paid about $450 for mine when I got the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too am shopping for bags for my 2011 Super Glide. My big problem is I do not want to relocate my turn signals. They are mounted on the fender. This is looking to be a tough task so if anyone has a suggestion as to what will fit between the shock and the turn signal, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good luck finding that solution! I searched for over a year trying to do exactly what you want. I didn't want to relocate my signals, didn't want Frankenstein bolts hanging out on my struts and all the brackets I found to hold bags away from the swing arm made bags look like dumbo ears.
I wound up getting throw over bags from brown cow saddle blanket co, strange name, great bags. If I tie them on right they fit tight and won't contact anything. One season on the bike and they took a little beating on the backsides from the swing arm.

Best pic I have.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1426242567.238303.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi: Plus one on the Leather Pro's Got mine from M & M great prices.
I don't think their web site shows the ones that you don't have to relocate
the turn signals. call them and get a brochure.Than buy from M & M.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my buddy wont buy stuff online- so he gives me the money -
today i ordered viking bags for him - i tried to talk him out of them- but it was the style he liked best

·
Registered
556 Posts
I bought some really nice bags for about $90 from Jafrum.com. I bought some from them before for my Sporty. Glad I did. The first set on the Sportster lasted until my son-in-law ran into me in turn and down went the bike, the throw over right side ripped off. So for another $80 or so those cost I ordered another pair. They were great and looked great. On the sportster I mounted them to quick disconnects from CruiserCustomizing.com by drilling holes in the bag and using large bolts and flat washers to attach to the quick disconnects. The pair I have now for the Dyna are also throw overs but more rigid and don't need supports. But, I may buy the supports anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm definitely looking for quick detach HARD bags, not throwover, as i'd like them to lock for the longer trips.

I've found these guys here which I love the look of, might go for em...

http://www.vikingbags.com/viking-lamellar-leather-covered-shock-cutout-hard-saddlebag-11000-prd1.htm

My last Viking experience on my Sporty was friggin great, so I may go with what I know works. Although that time I went with the Easy Brackets quick disconnects, this time i think i'll just do the Vikings.
I like those. Keep in mind that you will have to move your turn signals. I used the HD layback plate with the turn signal bar. I think that cost around $90-$100.

$389 for those bags? I kinda feel stupid. Thanks The security of my bags consists of Velcro.

·
Registered
162 Posts
man those things look totally RIGHTEOUS on that bike sir!!

Actually.. so do those pipes... what are those?? MAN they're long! huh, huh...
My pipes are Vance & Hines Long Shots. I originally had the V&H Big Radius 2-into-2 pipes, but I didn't like the way they looked on my Wide Glide. I love the Long Shots.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts