Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 FXR, which is the first year of the FXR and last year of the Shovel. The stock transmission is a 5-speed but the case is specific to the FLT and FXR from that year. It mounts to the engine and the frame via the swingarm pivot shaft and rubber mounts.

My question is will the Baker 6 into 5 Builder's Kits for newer EVO trannies fit into my case? I've heard they will fit into any Harley 5-speed but I want to confirm since this case was, a) used on a Shovel and not an Evo and, b) is specific to the FXR frame.

I called Baker but I couldn't find anyone that knew. They didn't know about the transmission case I was referring to.

Anyone ever put a 6-speed into an 82 FXR?

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
The internals are the same back to 79 for the 80 FL models, so I would think that the 6 into 5 kit would work.

The mounting bosses on the case itself wouldn't affect the gearset inside.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The internals are the same back to 79 for the 80 FL models, so I would think that the 6 into 5 kit would work.

The mounting bosses on the case itself wouldn't affect the gearset inside.
Makes sense. I think there’s room also but the FXR came with a 5-speed already in it. The FL’s were using 4 speeds.

I guess I can try it and send it back if it doesn’t fit. I’ll have to change some stuff in the primary also because I have a tapered shaft and chain primary, not pulleys.

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
Did you check J&P's website ? Plug in your bike model and year info then search transmissions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did but the results weren't good. They came back with the 6 into 4 complete kits with kickers that would work on all the FL frames but absolutely won't work on the FXR frame. the FXR is the problem. Most people don't understand how different they are from all the other frames. Standard tranny cases won't work. They're FXR specific.

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
If J&P didn't produce a match then I doubt the 6spd will work. J&P is pretty sharp on their research.
That FXR frame has the triangle frame weldments below the seat area on both sides, correct ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you got it. I think there's a pretty good chance a Builder's Kit might work. As long as the interior spacing is the same as the normal tranny cases. I'm just not sure if that's true or not. If they'll take it back I'll probably end up trying it. I need more top-end. 5th on my stock tranny is direct. It's just not setup to cruise at 80-85, seeing as when it was made.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
You could do a final drive pulley swap as well to achieve that end. It would be simpler and cheaper as well.

·
Banned
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Posts
SO. I have a 92 FLHTC( & A 92 FXR & A 88 FXR)

that I put the Baker Over Drive 6 speed .086 in, used the original 5 speed case instructions say you MIGHT have to do some clearancing . I did not have to.

BAKER makes up for the 6th OD gear in the trap door, my problems were in the clearing of my Thunder Header ,Turned out to be squished exhaust gaskets.

There is another issue with the OD trans gears you will have to find the right cam , the 6th speed unlike a stock 6 speed Harley(which is 1:1) is a OD & it needs the right about of torque to pull or it will be useless it will fall flat in its face & Bog like a mud digger .

If I remember correctly Baker offered a .0860 & .080 over drive.

I used a Powerhouse performer 500P

NOW to the FXR
1989 was the last year of the tapered shaft main shaft .1990 went splined
the tapered main shaft break the clutch basket & send the clutch basket into the primary case, unless its aftermarket & reinforced. ( I have Pictures somewhere)
Furthermore I have not done it yet but my Harley gurus/gods tell me the spline shaft gear set will fit into a tapered shaft case.

1992 FLHTC & The FXR are almost identical in the frame design & ABSOULTLY the Strongest frames ever made from Harley.

Don't expect better fuel mileage, expect 1,000 PRM decrease at highway speeds.

Expect to get confused to what gear your in 6 may not seem a lot on paper but at highway speeds if you go to pass someone it takes a while to remember to down shift twice.

I hope you found this helpful

Rob

·
91 FXLR
65 Posts
Harley has a Independent Operator Website you can Register a New Account. I looked for your bikes Transmission part number. See Link below and Follow the Prompts to join.

No Parts Catalog exists for FXR 1982 to 1986. That's why Baker couldn't tell you anything. So I looked at 1987 FXR models. That Trans mission Number For The FXR is 33022-90 Plus my Trans Number was used back then.

I have a 1991 FXLR Super Glide Low Rider Custom (EL) that I installed a Baker OD6. I also have a 1999 Fatboy with a new Baker OD6. It was Easy. My FXLR Trans Mission Part Number 33024-92, The -92 is supposed to be the Year. I guess it's the last Year it was used from what I can tell.

The Part Numbers for a 1987 FXR are these I copied from that Website.
Below I underlined what the Part number ""Should""" be for your Transmission.
INDEX PART FXR
NO. NO. NAME MODELS
60 33021-90 TRANSMISSION (C & BW) N/A-- 90*-EB
33022-90 TRANSMISSION N/A-- 90*-EAlC/M
33024-90 TRANSMISSION (C & BW) N/A-- 90*-EL
33036-90 TRANSMISSION N/A-- 90*-EG

Harley always keeps using the Same Parts regardless of the Year. So the odds are in your Favor 33022- is your Transmission Part Number. The Only thing I didn't do is check all the FXR Transmission Numbers by year to see if all of them are this 33022- number. I suggest you Call Baker again and give them this Part number and see what they say.

Or you can lay your money down and take your chances.

Oh if you buy The Banker, to remove the Belt off the Sprocket Pulley just loosen the rear Wheel up and push it to the Front as much as it will go, you don't have to take the rear Wheel off.. The Belt will become loose and will slip off the Pulley when you remove the Pulley. Just be careful of the Main Transmission Shaft Splines and Threads, Cover them up.

The Baker OD6 is Awesome. I can Cruse 85 MPH tacking 3000 RPM (the Engines sweet spot is 3300 RPM) and get 55MPG on the Interstate.

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
For what this is worth and even if still available.
FX parts catalogs:
'82 - '83 FXR / FXRT, 99439-83B
'84 - '86 FXR, 99439-86A
'84½ - '90 FXRP w/ FLHTP, 99545-90
'84 - '86 FXST, 99455-86A

·
Registered
84 Posts
just a NOTE on the initial STATEMENT ...
it is my understanding that the 1st FULL Year of EVO FXR(P)'s was 1985
the Last HALF ( 1/2) Year of SHOVEL-HEAD FXR's was early 1984 ?

Please advise if my information is incorrect ( I had a Fleet EVO 1985 FXRP )

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
1984, Shovel ... 1985, EVO ... IMO.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
just a NOTE on the initial STATEMENT ...
it is my understanding that the 1st FULL Year of EVO FXR(P)'s was 1985
the Last HALF ( 1/2) Year of SHOVEL-HEAD FXR's was early 1984 ?

Please advise if my information is incorrect ( I had a Fleet EVO 1985 FXRP )
The op said he has an 1982 Shovelhead FXR, what does that have to do with `84 and `85 model years?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
JRBv3: Why don`t you tell us why you want to go to an overdrive transmission on this bike?

If the engine is anywhere near stock, it will not pull that gear.

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
OP stated he rides 80 - 85 mph on the road, probably lottsa vibration from that Shovel if it's anything like my '81 and '84.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The op said he has an 1982 Shovelhead FXR, what does that have to do with `84 and `85 model years?
The initial POST states: " I have an 82 FXR, which is the first year of the FXR and last year of the Shovel. "

Which I was attempting to correct the inaccuracy ... 1982 was ... NOT ... the last year of the SHOVEL-HEADED "FXR" - right ?

·
Billyghoate
36 Posts
I have an 82 FXR, which is the first year of the FXR and last year of the Shovel. The stock transmission is a 5-speed but the case is specific to the FLT and FXR from that year. It mounts to the engine and the frame via the swingarm pivot shaft and rubber mounts.

My question is will the Baker 6 into 5 Builder's Kits for newer EVO trannies fit into my case? I've heard they will fit into any Harley 5-speed but I want to confirm since this case was, a) used on a Shovel and not an Evo and, b) is specific to the FXR frame.

I called Baker but I couldn't find anyone that knew. They didn't know about the transmission case I was referring to.

Anyone ever put a 6-speed into an 82 FXR?
I have a 92 flstc and put in a primo rivera 6 speed with new crate engine with no problem. Works great as i highway ride at 80-90

1 - 18 of 18 Posts