Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend told me about this 1966 GE Servicar that a guy he knows is interested in selling. The owner is out of state until the end of this month but was good enough to give my friend the code to open his garage so we went and took a look yesterday. I wasn't able to do a close up inspection since I didn't want to be moving shit around in the guys garage but overall, it looks pretty good.

The tins and box are straight and just need a good cleaning. The battery has enough juice to operate the lights but not enough to turn it over. The owner says it does run but has an oil leak. My friend said the oil leak appeared to be coming from the tranny when he saw it which leads me to think it s more likely than not a seal or gasket. It's pretty dirty overall and will need some love in the looks dept but any rust I saw was minimal. The owner also said it has a new alternator. I don't know a lot about the Servicars but think this could be a great winter project.

One question I have is regarding the front brake. There is a juice brake switch housing on the right bar which is not connected to the front brake. Is that normal for the latter model drum brake units or did someone add it? The rear brake foot pedal is not connected and this leads me to think someone may have hooked it up for the rear brakes.The reason I ask is that the switch housing appears to be for a big twin with a marked "horn" button but when I pushed it, I could hear the starter solenoid click. The horn button is where I would expect it to be on a late Pan or early Shovel on the left bar and does activate the horn.

If I can get it for a decent price, I'd like to clean it up and make it road worthy. Is 45 Restoration still a good source for tools, manuals and parts?

I am attaching a couple poor quality pics and as you would expect, asking what in a worst case scenario as far as mechanical, do you think a fair price range for this unit might be?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

GE1 (1).jpeg
GE1 (2).jpeg
GE1 (3).jpeg
GE1 (4).jpeg

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
Cool !

·
Indian Larry
9,012 Posts
I’ve wanted a Servi for decades!! The stars haven’t quite aligned yet...

I hope you get it!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve wanted a Servi for decades!! The stars haven’t quite aligned yet...

I hope you get it!!
I just ordered the most recent “Comprehensive Vintage Motorcycle Price Guide”. My copy is 6 years old and it’s tough to try to find any recent sale prices for Servicars. There are a handful for sale but they’re all the earlier models and none with the Police equipment still on board.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
678 Posts
That would be very cool to be riding on. Older vehicles still being used tickles the cockles of my heart. Whatever those are.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,016 Posts
We had a guy with one in our group when I was in the Marine Corps. We used to load that thing with beer and ice and send him on his way about two hours early so he would be getting there about the same time we would! That was before California became such a shitt hole.

Neat machines, I hope you get it.

Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
678 Posts
Reactions: HH Rider and bbally

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
678 Posts
So do I Marine. If I can get it for a fair price, I have no doubt I will buy it.
When you get it, please post your progress in cleaning/restoring/whatever you do to it so we can live vicariously through your efforts! :D

Reactions: gtrman66

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After doing some research via KBB, NADA, Hagerty and the latest edition of the Vintage Motorcycle guide, based on what I saw and currently know, I’m thinking of an offer in the &7,500.00 area. That of course is dependent on what the owner tells me and a closer inspection of the unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts