Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife has hinted that she'd kinda, maybe, might be interested in learning how to ride. She says she'd be scared but still brings it up occasionally and whenever I say I'm looking at a bike for her she doesn't say NO she says "well I don't have a license and I don't know if I could learn". She'd do fine, she just has to take this first step.
I called the local college and asked if I could sign her up. They have a ladies only class in April that still has 6 slots open. I think I'm gonna go sign her up and surprise her on her birthday Saturday. It would tie in nicely to the day we have planned since we're going with a group of friends to the bike show in Timonium and then out to dinner after.
I'm trying to get my buddy's girlfriend to sign up too, I think it would make it less overwhelming.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I think it will work out well and be a great surprise for her. Great idea. How it goes in the class should give you a feel for what kind of future she has with two wheels.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Excellent idea. However one area where I dont like to be too pushy is to get someone to start riding. See how she responds to your gift and take it from there.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
She's asking you to help her - do it.

I'm trying to get my buddy's girlfriend to sign up too.
I think that's illegal :lol8

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Three of us gals took the course together and had a wonderful time.

Like EZE said, don't push. Like Pet said, she's asking you to help her, so do it. No conflict there.

·
Out Riding
477 Posts
Great idea. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Banned
655 Posts
It is a great gift. I had asked a couple of my friends to go with me and they did not even want to try. They were not interested at all in it. They really like the back seat and had no interest in being in control of the bike. I on the other hand, really wanted to be the one in control of the bike.

So - great gift for the wife, if she is ready. You will have to let us know how she does. What bike your gonna buy her, etc.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
What bike your gonna buy her, etc.
That won't do.

The purpose is to get the wife to do her own thing.

Who cares who pays for it :thumb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats great and good luck to you both,
my wife is thinking the same thing, she is a very skilled rider, she can ride my son's XR100 slower than I can walk!
The interest is building though, I've got a Yamaha XS650G special we are doing up and she comes out to the shed to give me a hand every once in awhile. Put the seat into the shop the other day to have it lowered, we are going to take an inch out of it so that she reach the ground.
Your lucky to have access to a riding school, out here we start off-road and then find a long lonely straight stretch of road before venturing too far.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Elprez

I think it is a great idea and I am sure she will love it. I rode on the back for a while, but I just wanted to take control myself. I was very nervous, but I wanted to be able to ride so bad, I was determined to succeed. I took the Riders Edge Course and enjoyed every minute.
I did pass the test and went and bought a Sporty 1200L, now I just traded it in on a Heritage Softail 2009. WoooooHoooo, I am excited!
Best of luck to your wife!
Angel
Wilmington, Delaware
So my wife has hinted that she'd kinda, maybe, might be interested in learning how to ride. She says she'd be scared but still brings it up occasionally and whenever I say I'm looking at a bike for her she doesn't say NO she says "well I don't have a license and I don't know if I could learn". She'd do fine, she just has to take this first step.
I called the local college and asked if I could sign her up. They have a ladies only class in April that still has 6 slots open. I think I'm gonna go sign her up and surprise her on her birthday Saturday. It would tie in nicely to the day we have planned since we're going with a group of friends to the bike show in Timonium and then out to dinner after.
I'm trying to get my buddy's girlfriend to sign up too, I think it would make it less overwhelming.

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, all signed up...I'll be giving it to her Saturday night (the gift too if I'm lucky!) so I'll let everyone know her reaction (to the gift) sometime after.
As a side note, my daughter had said she wanted to take the course so I told her that if she pays for it I'd pay her back half when (if) she passes. I think that it will be great for the two of them to be together for this!
There were 6 slots open on Monday and after I signed my wife up there are only 3 so I hope my daughter can get in...she already goes to that college and will go in a little early today to sign up.
I'm so excited about this!!!

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What bike your gonna buy her, etc.
Well we had seen a Rebel on the side of the road last year that I should have bought, it was mint and reasonably priced but I let it slip away.
Ultimately I'd like to see her on a Deuce...however I realize that she will have to walk before she runs so if I can't find a nice small starter bike, we'll probably be looking at Sportsters...I see they have a nice trade in program running right now.

·
Live, Laugh, Ride!
12 Posts
Awesome gift, and she'll know for sure after she completes the course whether or not she wants to ride her own. I took the MSF course, passed it, but that was only the beginning of a lifetime of learning. Good luck & Ride Safe to your wife and daughter!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took the course after ridding for many years ...mine was very good,, great bunch of people...Here in Pa. you use there (states) bikes ,gas , everything, it is a free course....so why not ,go fur it ..my 2 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts