Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 FLHTP EG and want to carry some basic tools but it seems I keep adding to the pile, by the time I get done I think I'm gonna have a saddlebag full. So what would be a handfull of tools to carry.

·
Registered
341 Posts
just list the specific tools you use to work on the bike with. i like 1/4" drive sockets etc.at sears. with a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. & have cut-off the appropriate allen wrenches & glued them into sockets. also have replaced the torex screws on the primary with allen-head screws i get at ACE hardware.
you might ck out a hand held impact tool if you keep the torex screwss. thats what the mechanics at the dealer uses.
i also carry a extra drain plug & a can of PFE paste i use on the threads.also ACE had "O" rings too. late twin cams use #41.

·
Registered
37,002 Posts
I'm just trying to imagine what kind of roadside problems that can occur that can be fixed on the side of the road anymore.....

The days of carrying an extra set of points, a couple spark plugs and a few hand tools to fix whatever problems you'd have are sadly over.....

err maybe that's "gladly" as I've not been stranded for a long time... [knock on wood]

The only thing that has stranded me on my current bike is running out of fuel.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,049 Posts
Have to think realistically about your wrenching ability and what you would be willing to tackle on the side of the road. Probably need to concentrate on just being able to tighten fasteners that you may find have vibrated loose during a ride. Proper pre-ride prep is essential to avoid problems. Washing the bike frequently will put your hands all over the bike, enabling your to feel things you might not notice by sight. I'm a fair wrench but I have no illusions about how much I can do on the road. I lean more toward carrying basic tools and stuff I can use for emergency jury-rigging. Also carry tire plug kit with CO2 inflator. My worst fear is not breakdowns but flat tires. Most important tool s are probably road service club card and cel phone (as stated above)

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I carry some really basic tools. Used them three times in 2.2 seasons. Once on my bike (didn't tighten the battery cables enough)
once on my dads old bike, (ctappy indy install of the air cleaner) 3 ac bolts were backed out most of the way and the breather hose was popped off. To top it off, the throttle was sticking...on. pushing the bike at 65 not cool.
Anyway, I also used them to tighten grips and screw in the air cleaner bolt, outer ones on my friends sporty. Those were no ones fault....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I'm an ex-Boy Scout and ex-Military, I try to always be prepared, so I carry tools. Yeah, I have triple A too. I also carry a clear siphon hose so you can see the gas when you draw gas into the hose and not get it in my mouth.
Here’s a list of times I needed my tools.

1. Rear lights came loose, tightened up the nuts after butting 242 loctite on threads.
2. Shift linkage fell apart at a light, nut fell right there, pulled over and fixed 242 loctite.
3. No start at a rest stop in the middle of no where, positive lug on battery came loose,
tightened and replaced bolt at home.
4. Throttle cable broke 90 miles from home, rigged it up to get to get home and replace.
5. Buddy's pipe bracket lost a nut. Rigged it up made it to a hardware store fixed.
6.7.8. People on the side of the road with problems and I pull over and help and usually
get them going again with my tools bag.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I'm an ex-Boy Scout and ex-Military, I try to always be prepared, so I carry tools. Yeah, I have triple A too. I also carry a clear siphon hose so you can see the gas when you draw gas into the hose and not get it in my mouth.
Here’s a list of times I needed my tools.

1. Rear lights came loose, tightened up the nuts after butting 242 loctite on threads.
2. Shift linkage fell apart at a light, nut fell right there, pulled over and fixed 242 loctite.
3. No start at a rest stop in the middle of no where, positive lug on battery came loose,
tightened and replaced bolt at home.
4. Throttle cable broke 90 miles from home, rigged it up to get to get home and replace.
5. Buddy's pipe bracket lost a nut. Rigged it up made it to a hardware store fixed.
6.7.8. People on the side of the road with problems and I pull over and help and usually
get them going again with my tools bag.
Hell yea!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My mother-in-law bought me the HD tool kit for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's about $10 worth of tools that you can pick up for $100 at the dealer. It fits perfectly in a leather fork bag and has about everything you need. Loc-tite, zip ties, electrical tape and such. It's come in handy a few times.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
As no one has mentioned it yet, let me suggest everyone pack a small/medium size LED flashlight and extra set of batteries. Even if something simple breaks, unscrews, goes flat, vibrates off, etc., and you have the necessary items to repair or do a patch job, you can't do it very well stumbling around in the dark.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts