Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just bought a Halfords battery charger hoping to connect it to the connector on my 2107 roadster.
The connectors don’t fit though! (see pics - first is the connector on the bike, 2nd is connector on the charger.
Any ideas on what I need to bridge the gap?
Automotive lighting Font Auto part Gadget Electric blue

Tool Household hardware Wood Bumper Metal

·
Registered
44,227 Posts
Your Halfords tender does not have a SAE connector.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
Didn't your new charger come with a pigtail that connects to the battery terminals ?
My Battery Tender Plus came with two pigtails, one connects directly to the battery terminals and the other attaches to the terminals with spring clamps.

• Love
Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Super Moderator
12,312 Posts
Which model did you buy?

I did a quick browse on the site, did not see any low current models with the SAE connections, if your charger did not include the pigtails and there are no adapter cables for it to be bought separately, return what you have for a KIT that includes the cables and wire up the pigtail to your bikes battery, keep the stock SAE in place, it can be useful for heated gear.

Reactions: old dogg

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
That bottom pic plug is the same as my Battery Tender Plus. The 1st pic looks like the metric plugs I've seen.

·
Registered
44,227 Posts
That bottom pic plug is the same as my Battery Tender Plus. The 1st pic looks like the metric plugs I've seen.
Look closer. The second pic is not the same as a SAE connector on a Battery Tender.

The first pic is what comes on new HDs from the factory.

Reactions: Required

·
Super Moderator
12,312 Posts
If by chance you did get the cord with your kit and you don't want to tear into the bike or attach it to the battery, you could secure an SAE lead, clip ring terminals off both and match them up, make sure you match polarities, install shrink tubes, solder the junctions, shrink the insulators and overwrap with electrical tape. Home-made patch cord so you can use the existing HD SAE tender plug.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks - any idea what the connector from the charger is called?

You have a few options.

Your Harley came from the factory with an SAE connector. It is attached to the battery terminals.

First option is to return whatever you bought, and buy a Battery Tender brand. Deltran Battery Tender is the manufacturer for the Harley Davidson charger, and they sell the same item with their own label. Or buy the Harley Davidson charger from a dealership. Considering that you are in Europe, the electrical is different. So you will need to make sure that whatever you buy, you can actually use.

Second option is to contact the manufacturer of whatever it is that you bought. Ask them for the connection to your battery. They must have a wiring connection which connects to the battery terminals.

Your next option is simply to buy a SAE connector and splice the wires. Cut off the connector on your device. Attach the wires to the SAE connector.

Automotive lighting Bicycle part Data transfer cable Cable Font

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
I looked closer, my tender has the exposed negative pin unlike the one in the pic.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
mine too. It doesn't make sense to have the live terminal exposed.

Reactions: Breeze3at

·
Super Moderator
12,312 Posts
What Fifty is showing is for the charger side connection, while the bike side is indeed negative pin exposed, we need the inverse on the charger side for mating purposes.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
151 Posts
HILLBILLY fix here...
I have always purchased a BLACK ...
14 gauge or 16 gauge
short 3' long Grounded (3-prong) Extension cord
Cut it in HALF
attached the FEMALE section to my BATTERY hanging down under my seat area
attached the MALE section to my Batter Charger
my 12 volt Air Compressor
my pigtail to my 5 volt USB Charger (in my Saddle Bag )
to the BATTERY Clamps for some JUMPER CABLES
Works every time - never caused any PROBLEMS & inexpensive & universally available
COOP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts