Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SCHMIDTYS: Have a similiar problem with my 2006 HD Streetbob FXDBI. I have the manual security system with my bike, meaning I have to activate/deactivate my alarm system from my key fob manually or bypass. I had no problems until now. My buddies notice a few weeks ago that my left turn signal would flash twice then stop each time I wanted to turn. My right side was working properly and running/brake lights were fine. I rode it for a while working my left blinker by turning it on after it stopped blinking until my turn was done. That worked for a while, then they noticed my rear right turn signal and tail light woiuld work intermitantley, like a short. It would come on, then fade out, but the rear left would work, wasn't long from there, the lamp fuse snapped. I done a visual check for ground wire shorts, scraped wires, nothing visible. Put another fuse in, the battery fuse snapped immediately. I tried to check for a code on my mileage counter screen and nothing. It won't go into the diagnosting mode to give me anything. The speed odometer doesn't even leave 0 to 120 and back. I then tested to see if my alarm lights would flash when setting the security system with the bike off. When holding the fob button down to set the alarm, the battery fuse blew immeditately, you could hear it snap. Can the security module and/or turn signal module cause this to occur? the only accessories on the bike is my Power Commander Tuner & a brake light module for my rear turn signals for brake lights. I did by pass the brake light module to see if their was a short. Didn't make a difference. Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Not Schmidtys, but I am guessing the TSSM has failed. I have never heard of the fuse issues, but the symptoms otherwise make sense.

Or maybe it is the wiring around it. I would pull it out and check all of the connections at and around it, make sure the module is clean, dry, etc.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Not Schmidtys, but I am guessing the TSSM has failed. I have never heard of the fuse issues, but the symptoms otherwise make sense.

Or maybe it is the wiring around it. I would pull it out and check all of the connections at and around it, make sure the module is clean, dry, etc.
I agree with you on the TSSM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellows...wasn't sure if the TSSM could cause all that trouble. A couple of more questions for the TSSM. I take it that their is NO TSM since that is for a bike without an security system? With the TSSM, can that be just changed out or does it have to be done by a tech?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks fellows...wasn't sure if the TSSM could cause all that trouble. A couple of more questions for the TSSM. I take it that their is NO TSM since that is for a bike without an security system? With the TSSM, can that be just changed out or does it have to be done by a tech?
You can go backwards to a TSM if you want to remove the alarm system.

You can install a TSSM yourself. There is a Thread on how to marry the new TSSM on here .

All you ever wanted to know here: Harley Davidson Forums: Harley motorcycle forums. Where Harley Davidson riders discuss all Harley Davidson motorcycles both new and old, join today! - Search Results for Replacing TSSM

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Bad TSSM doesn't explain the main fuse blowing. The 15 amp lighting fuse should keep the main fuse from blowing, unless you replaced the lighting fuse with something closer to the 30 amp main fuse size. Before plugging a new TSSM or TSM in, check for other problems to be sure.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
Agreed. The light fuse will blow before the main fuse blows. Sounds to me like there's a direct short to ground someplace.
Try swapping the relays around on the fuse block to see if anything changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts