Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
But working on it...
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw this out there to see if others have been as successful with battery life as I have. I ride a 97 FLHR and only on the second battery. The original acid filled was replaced in 2002 with a HD AGM one. So that's 13 years on this one. When not riding the battery is on a tender and it still load tests as good. I remember the dealer telling me back in 97 that your battery life would be maybe 2 to 3 years. With my experience I would say that is a little off. I attest my success to the use of the battery tender which keeps it peak condition while not riding. Any others out there with similar experience.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
I got a new one this summer, the old one (H-D AGM) was 11 years old.
I take care of my batteries !

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
Using same one now fer 23 years!!

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
Your battery is older than my bike! So I cant say that my experience has been as good as yours.

But, last battery I bought was 4 years ago.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
Using same one now fer 23 years!!
But really most I've got outta one was my last one.. five years, it kinda turned over slow and funky right before a rode trip and didn't wanna chance it so I bought a new one...Put the old battery in my riding mower and its been working fine for two years now :what? so I probably could have kept it on bike ??? who freakin knows :)

Guy at dealer said with a battery tender outta get seven years

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Had to replace the battery in my Fat Boy about two months after buying the bike. Previous owner had bike for six years. I assume it was the original battery. Dealer replaced it. I keep it on a tender when not riding for more than a day or two.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Original Battery in my 09 Softail. Plug in the tender at end of days ride, stays on till next ride. Unless on a long multiday ride.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Battery life

I just got a new bike last July,but my old one was six years. tender every time I park. My JD lawnmower has original battery 11yr now tender it everytime also.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,486 Posts
My '04 battery got used for 3 years until the Nice Lady in the SUV made scrap metal of the bike. I stripped it of everything salvable a month or so later before the insurance weenies carted off the remains. The battery then sat on a shelf in my garage untended and forgotten for a couple of years until my brother called needing a battery. He took that old battery and hooked it to his old RK. It turned slow, but fired that sucker up. Battery lasted in the RK about two weeks then burst into flames (fortunately right near where they had an extinguisher).

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
My battery is on its sixth year it's always on a tender when I'm not riding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 08 has its original battery and since I've owned it, its on a tender in the winter months. Went to start her the other day and it seems tired. After 6 years its time to replace it or end up getting stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
mine was 7 when it started sounding weak -so i replaced before it left me stranded

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Got five years out of the original battery in my 09. Replaced it this past summer with another AGM. Always hooked to a tender when not riding.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My '04 battery got used for 3 years until the Nice Lady in the SUV made scrap metal of the bike. I stripped it of everything salvable a month or so later before the insurance weenies carted off the remains. The battery then sat on a shelf in my garage untended and forgotten for a couple of years until my brother called needing a battery. He took that old battery and hooked it to his old RK. It turned slow, but fired that sucker up. Battery lasted in the RK about two weeks then burst into flames (fortunately right near where they had an extinguisher).
WOW the battery gave its all right to end.:thumbsup

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know its hard to tell how long a battery will last Got a new wide glide a few years ago and it came with a bad battery Got a battery in the boat on the motor and it lasted 8 yrs with just a charge in spring

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I've replaced the battery once in my '05 Heritage. Had to replace the '14 Ultra after 6 months (warranty).

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
This is my first bike with a battery. The sportster was kick start only.
This battery barely lasted 3 years with a tender. (who knows how long it sat on the shelf before installing or it had a weak cell from the start)

1 year on the new one which is on a tender throughout the winter and any time it sits for more than 4 days

·
Registered
751 Posts
On a side note. My last truck had a battery that lasted longer than most. At around 9-10 years of age it died. I fired it up in the morning like any other day. No clue as to what was coming. It didn't cranked hard with no hesitation at all. It was even in the summer. I left work at the end of the day, and it didn't even have enough juice to light a cigarette from the lighter. Had to have AAA bring a jump pack to get it across the street to Advance Auto. I couldn't jump start it.

Those of you out there with really good luck I would just consider a new one. It doesn't always give you warning. I know it's hard to justify a new battery when the old one is working fine, but when it's getting more than 5-6 years old I would just replace. With the new bikes you can't pop start them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts