Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 06 Roadglide .. The old battery went south so I purchased another one and 2 months later it's dead again .. The symptoms it's been having :
When I'm riding I will see my voltage gauge drop down to 6-8 my battery light will come on including the engine light . I stil don't know but either when I accelerate or hit a bump it jumps back to 14 . But now it's really dead. I baught a tender aswell for the new battery .
Could it be the stator or regulator ? I tested both but maybe I diddnt do it correctly . Any advice would be helpful . Thanks gentleman

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
Check for loose connections inside the faring...

And
How did you test the charging system?

·
Registered
563 Posts
So I have a 06 Roadglide .. The old battery went south so I purchased another one and 2 months later it's dead again .. The symptoms it's been having :
When I'm riding I will see my voltage gauge drop down to 6-8 my battery light will come on including the engine light . I stil don't know but either when I accelerate or hit a bump it jumps back to 14 . But now it's really dead. I baught a tender aswell for the new battery .
Could it be the stator or regulator ? I tested both but maybe I diddnt do it correctly . Any advice would be helpful . Thanks gentleman
You have a short somewhere. Check for bare wire(s) rubbing against the frame or a ground somewhere. The fact that the voltage goes back to normal when you hit a bump of accellerate tells me you have a loose 12 volt wire somewhere hitting ground. The bump/ acellerate knocks it loose form the ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure will . What wires run inside the faring ? I checked it with a digital volt meter .. Stator and reg .. With ac and ohms

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
What was your standing voltage at battery not on or running?

What did you get at battery running @2000 rpm...

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Everything mentioned sounds helpful, I think you are on the right track in that the charging system is not functioning properly. I'll add that I personally find the service/electrical manuals to be very helpful and a worthwhile investment.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
Check to see what codes are stored in the ECM. The procedure is a sticky in the electrical section.

·
Older Than Dirt
47 Posts
electrical/charging problems

Intermittent problems with the Voltage Regulator,
based on the similar problems I had. I think a lot of Bad stock
VR's out there. Had mine replaced with a Cycle Electric.
About 3x the cooling fins as a stocker.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
try checking the stator magnets they can come loose and shift (stops charging) hit another bump moves back and starts charging again i chased this problem for a week or two before i figured it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts