Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before next riding season begins I'm going to replace the battery and cables on my 96 1200 custom, should I buy a "harley" battery, or from another manufacturer? Also should I go with acid or gel, and what kind of cables? Last but not least, what type or brand of battery tender should I get as well? Thanks in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Before next riding season begins I'm going to replace the battery and cables on my 96 1200 custom, should I buy a "harley" battery, or from another manufacturer? Also should I go with acid or gel, and what kind of cables? Last but not least, what type or brand of battery tender should I get as well? Thanks in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
"Acid" or wet cell is old technology. Gel/glassmat is now. East Penn Mfg. makes Harley's original batteries, and their house brand is Deka. You can get one delivered for about $90 from several distributors.
You can buy heavier cables online and ebay, or do what I did and take my old cables to my local auto starter/alternator place and have them make bigger gauge cables for about $15. All battery tenders are not equal, Battery Tender brand seems to be very popular both for price and service.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
"Acid" or wet cell is old technology. Gel/glassmat is now. East Penn Mfg. makes Harley's original batteries, and their house brand is Deka. You can get one delivered for about $90 from several distributors.
You can buy heavier cables online and ebay, or do what I did and take my old cables to my local auto starter/alternator place and have them make bigger gauge cables for about $15. All battery tenders are not equal, Battery Tender brand seems to be very popular both for price and service.
+1

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . All battery tenders are not equal, Battery Tender brand seems to be very popular both for price and service.
+2.

And, if you are only using it for the bike and to maintain a good battery, the little "Junior" wall wart style is plenty. You don't need the more expensive ones.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
AGM from Batterymart.com - good price plus free shipping.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,648 Posts
Recommend AGM battery there the way to go I upgraded last year.
Battery mart or Oreillys auto parts sells the same battery for same price and their in stock .I don't use a battery tender but I have a old Craftsmen's charger that has the function maintainer. I bring my battery in for the Michigan winters and throw the charger on it every once in awhile .

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I was recommended a Chrome brand battery. Found it on eBay and it comes from Westfield, IN (or somewhere there north of Indy). Don't remember the price but I was happy with it. I did buy the Battery Tender brand. Off Amazon for about $45.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts