Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep the bike on the tender whenever it's home. I have no issues with the bike and battery is at 14.2 volts. When I plug it in the battery tender jr. it normally flashes red for a few seconds then flashes green until it is charged then is solid green. Tonight it went from red to flashing green and has been for a couple hours. (Not normal)
Has anybody else had this happen? I unplugged the charger as I know the battery doesn't need it right now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That will occasionally happen; the charger is in float mode nothing to worry about. I do what you did, unplug it for a day then back to normal charging schedule. First time it happened to me bike had been on the charger for a few days. I went out to the garage to get something and noticed it was doing it. Only seems to happen once in awhile. BOL

2013 FLHRC stocker

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear that, thought maybe the tender was going south.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I keep one on all my vehicles if I'm away for awhile. My HD seems to pull the battery down pretty good in a couple of days. Must be the alarm.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have an alarm but the battery is 5 years old. Just trying to keep it happy.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never used a tender until I moved to the NorthEast. Sitting on the lift for 4-5 months I felt is was necessary.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Mine isn't always consistent either. After riding I plug in the tender and get the red light for usually just a few minutes, then to flashing green for maybe 15 minutes then solid green. But...., sometimes the flashing green may last 2 hours or so before going solid green. And my stock battery is a little less than 2 years old.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like everything is ok then. Used it for over a year and this was the first time it did it.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tender

I use a tender jr also ,my john Deere mower is ten years old original battery still ok. When I plug in bike it ,tender,acts like above , sometimes. I unplug like above and it's ok ,mine does seem to stay red for awhile before going to float mode. Over night sometimes.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Gramps, This sometimes happens, BUT be ready for a battery replacement. When cells start to fail, the Tender senses it and that's the flashing telling you somethings askew. With five years on that battery, don't let it strand you somewhere.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I don't pay as much attention to the lights as you guys. I've been using battery tenders for years and have only had one fail. It was costly, the tender on my Jeep failed, my own fault, for not checking on things regularly. Now days I check each battery with a meter once a week. I don't trust the lights, the tender on the Jeep battery was in A-ok mode when it failed.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Left it unplugged overnight and all day today. Took the bike to work and when I got home plugged it in. Lights are acting normal today, solid green in about 2 minutes. :dunno

Thanks guys

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,334 Posts
My tender was showing green. But the 3 year old battery was going south. It worked for 2 months where the starter would hesitate then fire up.

Over time, the hesitation was longer and longer until it wouldn't turn over or only a very sluggish half turn.

Replaced with a new battery from Battery Mart and there is no hesitation at all when I push the button.

Moral of the story, order your replacement when you start noticing the hesitation happens every time. I waited until it wouldn't hold a charge and had to wait 5 days between ordering (late in the day) and receiving the new battery.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
That happens all the time. I suggest to people, take the tender off for about three or four days, and see how the battery acts, when you try to start the bike. A good battery will hold up for a couple of weeks at least, so a few days should have no effect. If it does, you are on your way to a new battery. Tenders are great, but can hide a failing battery, if we leave them on all the time, without checking every now and then.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All good advice, going to take it off the charger and see what happens. I'll give it 2 weeks as it doesn't sit much this time of year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts