Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a brand new HD battery for the bike. Brought home, installed on the bike and hooked up to the BT Jr. Did not pay attention as to how long it took it to charge completely up, (solid green light).

Went for a ride today, came home and hooked up the BT Jr. Took it 45 minutes to go from solid red light to blinking green. Stayed blinking green for about 10 minutes until solid green,(fully charged).

Does 45 minutes sound too long for the initial red light to stay on for a brand new battery? If so, I wonder if I could possibly have some current somewhere that is drawing it down more than it should be.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
Shouldn't take that long at all. I'm guessing here that the battery was sitting on the stealership's shelf for a while and was down to begin with. The start took a little more off of the top, and if you didn't ride very far, it could have been a bit under full charge causing this. Keep in mind that the tender isn't supposed to be used as a charger per se but rather for keeping the battery "topped off" while it's waiting for you to take off again.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
What type of bike. Different ones have different features and more parasitic drain when not running.
How long was your ride. It can take a little bit to recharge a battery just from starting the bike. Then figure, again depending on what accessories you have on the bike running while riding. Radio, etc. ....besides the headlight which is always on under normal circumstances.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Keep in mind that the tender isn't supposed to be used as a charger per se but rather for keeping the battery "topped off" while it's waiting for you to take off again.
^this too^

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
45 minutes does not sound like an issue occasionally. As you ride, park, ride, park, etc., etc. you may notice that most of the time it doesn't take long to go to full green, then once in a while it does. At least that's the way it is with my '13 RG with the original battery.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
I have the regular BT, not the "Jr.", and it sometimes will go from a few seconds of red straight to solid green, but can't remember it doing the flashing green. Is that something peculiar to the "Jr." version?

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
I have the regular BT, not the "Jr.", and it sometimes will go from a few seconds of red straight to solid green, but can't remember it doing the flashing green. Is that something peculiar to the "Jr." version?
Kd, mine is also the "regular" BT and I always get at least a short period of flashing green before it goes to solid green. Don't have the instructions handy--but they should be online--and the flashing green indicates "almost" or "damn close" to fully charged, then solid green.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
Mine is an older one (got it in '04). Looked at the faceplate, and it only shows solid red or green. Also flashing yellow which is the "OH s#!t " indication. The instructions that came with it are long gone.

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
Mine is the regular BT. It flashes green when it is between 80% and 99% charged.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
Thanks, Brian and Joe. I suspect that is something in the newer units that mine doesn't do. I'll try calling the manufacturer tomorrow and see what they say about it just for the record.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Flashing green means 80% charge, in newer units. 45 minuets is too long, if the bike is charging. I'd check the charging circuit, and cables, etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have both the regular and Jr. models. It's not unusual for the junior to work a little differently and do some different things, like blinking red after being on a battery for a few days. I don't know why but I've noticed it does it sometimes. No need to worry. Seems normal. I take the junior when I travel. BOL

2013 FLHRC

·
Registered
556 Posts
Shouldn't take that long at all. I'm guessing here that the battery was sitting on the stealership's shelf for a while and was down to begin with. The start took a little more off of the top, and if you didn't ride very far, it could have been a bit under full charge causing this. Keep in mind that the tender isn't supposed to be used as a charger per se but rather for keeping the battery "topped off" while it's waiting for you to take off again.
That is correct. Actually the dealer should have a special charger just for a brand new battery. When I worked for a dealer we never had pre charged batteries. We had to have the customer wait an hour to take a new battery out of the box, pour in it's acid from the container included and then charge it for an hour. I hate buying batteries and places like WalMart and Sears because you don't know how long they have sat on the shelf.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a-duh. That is probably a good guess.
Yes, it is 2012 Fatboy. I do have passing lamps on it and they have the bypass harness that keeps them on when the switch is on. Also today, I was wearing my Powerlet Heated Glove Liners that hook up to the bike battery. Never had those turned on til the bike was started and running.

To answer back to one of the repliers to my post, I charged the battery to full charge, (solid green) immediately after getting home with it from the dealer and installing it on the bike. That was this past Sunday. Never started the bike prior to fully charging the battery. Today was the first time I started the bike and ran it with the new battery.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've had a Jr. since '06 and have used it pretty much every night since then. It's been used on 3 batteries and two bikes. Mine goes from red to green, no flashing green. I've never seen it take more than about 10 minutes to go green. I would think that 45 minutes is too long.

I know that on my bike that the main reason for a higher idle (1000rpm) is to keep the stator in the charging range. I know of a couple of people who have lowered the idle to get the 'Harley' sound and then had trouble with the battery not charging properly if they were in a lot of stop and go situations.

Maybe have a load draw test done on the battery while it's still in the bike. If it shows a voltage draw then you know that something is eating voltage after you park it.

·
Retired citizen
24,161 Posts
If the new battery only had a 50% charge (12.4v) then 45 minutes doesn't sound out of line for the Junior Tender. The Junior puts out half, approx .625a, than the Tender Plus.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
My H-D battery tender doesn't start off red when first plugged in, it starts off yellow then in about 5 minutes turns solid green. Maybe I have a different model tender than you, but I think 45 minutes is too long for your new battery to be fully recharged.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have been using the Jr. since going to a Harley. Three bikes and four different batteries. I've had two of them. The first one crapped out from being ran over by my wife's car.

They commonly take 30-40 minutes to cycle to green light in my experience. Not all the time, but often.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts