Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
weird member
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother gave me a Battery Tender Plus (pn# 021-028). I downloaded the user manual from the Deltran site, but it's lacking in this information.

So, with it is that SAE connector you hook to the battery, and on the positive lead there is an inline fuse of 7.5 amp.

In the future, if I end up buying heated gear, I would be using this connector to hook up to the battery and I would use the instructions with the heated gear to determine the rating of the fuse needed.

If it needs a fuse that's more than a 7.5, will the battery tender still work like it should with a higher rated fuse?

The instructions from the battery tender don't even mention a fuse, and I don't really understand electrical stuff.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,075 Posts
I have both a tender and heated gear, I have two leads both fused, it really doesn't take up that much more room and it gives me peace of mind that everything will operate as it should. Just sayin.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i can't see why heated gear would require 7.5 Amps. I just plug my tender into the MoCo connector. Is has been working all year, no problems! The connector looks larger, that's deceiving.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Kyle, the fuse is just a connector in the line. The amp rating of the fuse does not effect the electrical current unless the fuse link burns out.

·
Registered
37,207 Posts
I use the Battery Tender harness directly with my heated gear.
I've run the pants, jacket and gloves all at the same time with no issues.

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
7.5A at 13.5V will only supply 101.25W.
Look at the tags on the heated gear for watt ratings then add them up.
Next divide the total watts by B+ 13.5V, the result will give you the size fuse needed for the heated gear. Example: 275W divided by 13.5V equals 20.37A.
The formula is P divided by E equals I.

·
Senior Flatulant
915 Posts
Next divide the total watts by B+ 13.5V, the result will give you the size fuse needed for the heated gear. Example: 275W divided by 13.5V equals 20.37A.
Ha-ha-ha every time I see Ohm's law with watts, I get the vivid yellow picture of Ugly's "PIE" Chart in my head!

·
Proud Infidel
2,613 Posts
Just make sure the fuse rating doesn't exceed the wire rating on amperage.

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
Most automotive wiring can handle more than double their amp rating, just saying !
If ya ain't sure then go by the book.

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
Ha-ha-ha every time I see Ohm's law with watts, I get the vivid yellow picture of Ugly's "PIE" Chart in my head!

I've got the PIE chart imbedded in my brain man. If I close my eyes I can see it, no need to look in the book anymore !
The PIER electronics chart covers it all ! Basic 101 electronics.

·
Veteran
24 Posts
So my brother gave me a Battery Tender Plus (pn# 021-028). I downloaded the user manual from the Deltran site, but it's lacking in this information.

So, with it is that SAE connector you hook to the battery, and on the positive lead there is an inline fuse of 7.5 amp.

In the future, if I end up buying heated gear, I would be using this connector to hook up to the battery and I would use the instructions with the heated gear to determine the rating of the fuse needed.

If it needs a fuse that's more than a 7.5, will the battery tender still work like it should with a higher rated fuse?

The instructions from the battery tender don't even mention a fuse, and I don't really understand electrical stuff.
You should have no problems with any heated gear and should never exceed the 7.5 amp fuse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my 1995 DYNA Convertible ...

I use several different BATTERY CHARGERS -
at several different LOCATIONS ...
HOME in the Pole Barn
At my GirlfriEND's House
& at my Rental Property when working there
... I use a black 16 gauge extension cord (cut in two pieces)
The FEMALE end ... I attached to the BATTERY ( Positive& Negative )
I left this about 8" long and it is quite INCONSPICUOUS hanging next to my Battery Box on the DYNA

I use any MALE ended cord to plug in my Battery Chargers at any location ...
------
also
------
This Battery Connected PIG-TAIL allows me to also JUMP other Motorcycles
------
I also use the Pig-Tail to plug in my 12 volt Air Compressor if the need arises on the road
------

Basically just a 12 volt "TAP" for the price of a cheap Black ( or any color that matches your motorcycle) EXTENSION CORD

I started using this solution on my 1985 FXR & continued it on my 1995 DYNA = never an electrical problem as the Female connector aim "DOWN"

COOP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts