Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked my Softail's battery up to an HD tender last week. I connected it to the quick detach plug already on the battery and all I get is a flashing amber light. This is supposed to mean it isn't charging. I replaced the battery this summer, so it's basically new.

Anyone know why I might I'm not getting the non-flashing green light yet? This bike used this tender last year no problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
40,478 Posts
Make sure the cable is hooked up right on the battery.
Also, make sure the inline fuse isn't blown on the BT pigtail.

·
Señor Member
19,710 Posts
Make sure the cable is hooked up right on the battery.

Also, make sure the inline fuse isn't blown on the BT pigtail.

Yes, this. The "not charging" indicator can also mean "no battery detected" which can be cause by either of the things Kainam pointed out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If the battery is weak from sitting it won't charge. Put an actual battery charger on it till full, and the replace with the tender. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If the battery is weak from sitting it won't charge. Put an actual battery charger on it till full, and the replace with the tender. Ask me how I know.
Hunt/fish is right on the money...if your battery is too weak from sitting for an extended period of time, a battery tender does not have the necessary charging capacity to bring it up to par. A battery tender is supposed to maintain a fully charged battery at peak and that's it. Put it on a car charger at around a 10 amp setting and that should bring it back if it doesn't have a dead cell.

·
Señor Member
19,710 Posts
Hunt/fish is right on the money...if your battery is too weak from sitting for an extended period of time, a battery tender does not have the necessary charging capacity to bring it up to par. A battery tender is supposed to maintain a fully charged battery at peak and that's it. Put it on a car charger at around a 10 amp setting and that should bring it back if it doesn't have a dead cell.

I like this. I suggest that you only leave it on 10amp until the charger recognizes the battery and then switch it to 2amp to take to full charge.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Double check connections are correct and the fuse. Just pop your seat off battery is right there. Better safe than sorry.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
My HD Battery Tender flashes yellow when it's not connected correctly. For instance once I plugged it in and saw it flashing yellow. I realized I didn't plug it all the way into the quick connect plug. Once I pushed the the connections all the way in it went to steady yellow (charging) then green (charged). As far as I know flashing yellow means the tender is plugged into an outlet but not connected to a battery. Check your connections

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
You can use a car charger as recommended above, but I would not charge at the 10 amp rate. Use the 2 amp charging rate setting. Charging a smaller motorcycle battery at a 10 amp rate can cause gassing and possible boilover of the electrolyte/acid, and you do not want that.

--

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kainam I looked all over for an inline fuse on the pigtail. Is it something that is accessible and can be changed out?

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
I may be missing something, but my tender has a bulk charge mode that kicks in if the battery is below 75% full charge. It only flips to float mode when the thing's charged up.

·
Registered
40,478 Posts
Kainam I looked all over for an inline fuse on the pigtail. Is it something that is accessible and can be changed out?
The Tender cables that come from BT have them, maybe the ones the MoCo uses don't....

But the fuse is inside the black plastic box thing as in the photo here:

·
Señor Member
19,710 Posts
Some have them, some do not. Mine doesn't.

·
Retired citizen
23,886 Posts
I don't remember a trade marked "Battery Tender" not coming with those leads. Actually two, the other lead has alligator clips instead of the ring terminals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most likely the fuse or your screw is loose at the battery itself. Best bet would be to pop the seat off and take a look, as you might have a better look for the fuse there as well. Sometimes it takes more than a BT if your battery is very low; might need a bigger charger to get it going.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone. I had to remove the battery and check the cable for the pigtail and found the fuse. I did not originally install it, therefore did not know exactly what I was looking for. Once found, I did see that the 75 amp fuse was blown. It's now replaced and working fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks to everyone. I had to remove the battery and check the cable for the pigtail and found the fuse. I did not originally install it, therefore did not know exactly what I was looking for. Once found, I did see that the 75 amp fuse was blown. It's now replaced and working fine.
I hope you meant 7.5 amp fuse

·
Registered
40,478 Posts
:thumb

1 - 20 of 21 Posts