Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you keep your battery before if it keeps working you consider it "borrowed time"?

I have mine on a tender while not riding

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
When the starting process has a delay on the first crank and it gets progressively worse.
Subsequent starts during the day seemed to fire right up or just a slight initial delay or lag.

The above sequence gradually worsened until it wouldn't hold a charge over night if left off the tender.

I found that it eventually would not hold a charge from the tender and wouldn't even click any more when I pressed the start button.

Total time was 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice description of the progression. Mine 2011 that I've had for 1 year. Not sure if its stock or not...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
the first sign of slow starting or any indication. its in the trash same day an new on the way in. bikes, cars, trucks...............................

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,454 Posts
JPR hit it right on the head. When that initial delay starts to show signs of worsening, head for the battery store.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
JPR hit it right on the head. When that initial delay starts to show signs of worsening, head for the battery store.

This.

I expect 5 or more seasons on a well maintained battery. I've gotten into the 8th season before, but I start getting nervous.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Just ordered a set of Taylor Motorcycle battery cables . #2 gauge ought to do it seeing as how MOCO put #8 gauge on from the factory . Using star lock-washers and battery sealer on all connections will insure the starter gets FULL VOLTAGE from this new 500CCA LIGHTNING battery . Should deliver instant starts first time every time for a long time !

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a2005 John Deere mower original battery on tender from day one 10 years in January,bike ,car,truck first sign there gone. Or sooner lol.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am in the same boat.
Mine has gotten weak this fall, and is going to be replaced.
Since we are on the subject, i got an e-mail the other day from Dennis Kirk, advertising Lithium motorcycle batteries.
This is new technology to me.
Has anyone tried one of these yet?
They seem pretty expensive.
Just wonder if they are as good as advertised.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Wait another year and Lithium battery prices will come down. Like all new gotta have it items. Plus I understand you need a different battery tender, may be wrong on this.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Wait another year and Lithium battery prices will come down. Like all new gotta have it items. Plus I understand you need a different battery tender, may be wrong on this.
Your right, I read the same thing. I'll go about 5 years on a battery after that I figure its on borrowed time. If I stay local, I'll stretch it a bit, but if I'm going on a trip, I'll change it out. Got 2 more years on this one, I'll be looking at the lithium also. I can always use the tender on the antique cage.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
My battery was only 35 months when it died but who knows how long it sat before they installed it. I got 8 yrs out of a marine batt which was also an AGM. And it was still going strong when I sold it.

We'll see how long this one lasts. Tender a must

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Rather than just dump your old battery. Take it in for a load check. A place you can trust of course. May find battery cables need cleaning tightening or what ever. IMHOP

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
I'm not sure the lithium is for me at the current prices. Even at twice the life which is doubtful. Maybe when prices come down.

My replacement was 89 vs 250 for the lithium

·
Registered
621 Posts
Do most of you leave the tender attached all the time when not riding or just for extended storage?

·
Intl Man of Mystery
27 Posts
Just ordered a set of Taylor Motorcycle battery cables . #2 gauge ought to do it seeing as how MOCO put #8 gauge on from the factory . Using star lock-washers and battery sealer on all connections will insure the starter gets FULL VOLTAGE from this new 500CCA LIGHTNING battery . Should deliver instant starts first time every time for a long time !
:thumbsup

·
Registered
685 Posts
i have 8 yrs. on the battery in the bike now but, since cold weather is setting in it kinda grunted a bit before she started a cpl days ago. gonna go out in a bit hope it fires up ? the ol 77 sporty im running lawn mower batteries in it with no probs. just sawed off half the top of the battery cover dropped it in . $39.00 later .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts