Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I left the ignition switch on last night after riding and this morning it was dead (stupid move). Question is, new battery or should this one be still good to go. The battery is not that old and was replaced just before I picked up the bike a month or so ago. Thanks!

·
Just Ride
3,252 Posts
Slow charge and you should be fine. Another plus, newer battery under warranty.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Yup. Should be ok. I recommend the 1.5 or 2 amp setting on your charger overnight. Let us know.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Before my Harley I had a V Star 950 and I killed that battery at least 4-5 times. For some reason I was always forgetting to turn off the ignition switch. Well I recharged that battery over and over again and it always came back to life... until the next time I killed it. That being said the battery that came in my V Star seemed more capable than the one that came with my Harley. My Harley battery seems to have just enough amps to crank it, but not one drop more. If I don't put a battery tender on it once temps dip into the 40's it will surely not crank the next morning.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Before my Harley I had a V Star 950 and I killed that battery at least 4-5 times. For some reason I was always forgetting to turn off the ignition switch. Well I recharged that battery over and over again and it always came back to life... until the next time I killed it. That being said the battery that came in my V Star seemed more capable than the one that came with my Harley. My Harley battery seems to have just enough amps to crank it, but not one drop more. If I don't put a battery tender on it once temps dip into the 40's it will surely not crank the next morning.

I suspect your HD battery is as capable, but your HD bike has more compression and is more of a bitch to crank? Even when my battery was brand new it struggled to jump this beast. :laugh

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
the big crank from Battery mart has a replacement for $98 free shipping. It seems to crank a little stronger than my original battery which only lasted 30 months from the day I took delivery of the new bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Should be fine, ALWAYS pull the year and month off of your new battery that way you will know the age of it, and if it is time to change or charge it

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I would give it a nice show 24 hr charge at 1 to 1.5 amps. Afterwards check voltage and load test to be sure. If all checks out then it should be good to go.

·
Just Ride
3,252 Posts
Isn't strange that the same advice is given over and over.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yeah , sometimes that search function don't !
Stop using that kill switch & just use either the key or the one on the tank with a lock . That way you can see if all the lights are on or off .

500CCA LIGHTNING START HARLEY battery.
Wholesale batteries.com Free shipping ....$98.00

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
Stop using that kill switch & just use either the key or the one on the tank with a lock . That way you can see if all the lights are on or off .

Wholesale batteries.com
Would 550 amps burn up the starter

They only list FLH & FLT no FLS

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts

Wholesale batteries.com

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Im pretty sure the starter will only pull amperage it needs to run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts