Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike died on me after work, so I push started it, and rode home, and plugged it in to charger. The next morning it showed green, but when I went to start it, all the lights went off and acted dead. I took the battery to the parts store, and it tested good. Any ideas?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,582 Posts
Charging system has a problem most likely. Stator? Regulator?

My guess is it'll run fine until the battery runs down and cannot provide spark anymore?

Although, you said it ran after a push start. I would expect it to be dead stick once the battery was dead.

Lets wait for the forum pros to jump in. Good luck.

·
Señor Member
19,582 Posts
Actually, do you have a loose or corroded battery connection? Like, enough of a connection for spark, but not enough to turn the starter?

·
Poser Member # 99
17,138 Posts
Check connections and take battery to another parts store and test it. check Ignition switch or maybe starter relay mine was starting to screw up . I put manual push botton in for back up to starter bypass or maybe starter solennoid . I wanted to ride in the thunder across the thumb Here In Michigan . I tried my damndest but didnt have manual button in place soon enough

I put a new Mainenace free battery from Oriellys auto parts for 95.00 the same battery some of the guys recommed on her
It Starts fine now put replaced 1 part at a time Starter relay can be picked up Advanced auto parts it a 5 terminal relay ffor the harzard lights for around 18.00 Make sure it's the same amp rating as factory Boush relay

85 Electra Glide tour glide

good luck Sorry to Ramble

·
Retired citizen
22,051 Posts
The ignition switch could be corroded internally. Remove the dash and turn it upside down, look at the back of the switch. If you can see green corrosion in the little windows the switch needs to either be replaced or disassembled and cleaned and re-lubed.

·
Maddog
394 Posts
You got a loose connection on the main cable(s). If you hit the button and all lights
go off, its either a bad battery or faulty connection on the battery, engine block or
starter solonoid. Ignition switch got nothing to do with it.

Put a voltmeter accross the battery, hit the starter button, if the voltage drops off
significantly or goes to zero, it's either the battery or shorted starter motor (unlikely).

If the voltage appears normal, check it again at the starter solonoid. If its really low
there and not at the battery, you have a bad ground or positive cable/connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts