Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Breaker of Things
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need some advice as to what you all do? I keep getting my face sunburned and I look like a raccoon all the time. I leave for work at 1700 & come home at about 0700 the following morning. My commute is 70 miles one way. I've got to where I put on a do rag but my ears, lower face,& neck still get burned. I can't have greasy sunblock on my face all night because it would jack my face up, plus I have to look presentable at work. Do any of you guys use any special sunblock that is non greasy & doesn't affect your skin??? And I know a helmet would b a great option but it's just not my thing, don't like heat strokes!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
Bren there, done this. You've got to bite the bullet and get some of that super pricey, premium sunblock. It feels dry, doesn't smell like a coconut drink, and has moisturizers and conditioners so you won't look like a 15-year old kid who's been eating zeppolis for a week.

I lean towards Nivea. Damn near $20 for a small tube. Just be sure to hide it from your wife. And your bro's.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I keep a can of the spray-on sunblock in my saddlebag all the time.

I like it because it is so easy to use. It takes about 5 seconds to spray my face. I have never noticed it looking shiny or greasy after applying.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Im wondering how sunblock jacks your face up??..Cant you just wash up at work? I try to get some sun without my do rag and goggles on to even my raccoon look..

·
Registered
231 Posts
I keep a can of the spray-on sunblock in my saddlebag all the time.

I like it because it is so easy to use. It takes about 5 seconds to spray my face. I have never noticed it looking shiny or greasy after applying.
don't let overspray from any sunblock get on your bike it will fukup the paint.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wear a bandana over my face when I ride long distance in the bright sun. Covers my face up to my sun glasses and most of my ears. Helps with wind burn and actually helps keep me cooler in the heat.

·
Breaker of Things
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just use the regular lotion but make sure it doesn't smell like coconut. Within a few minutes it soaks into my skin just like lotion would, but it seems to work. As I've gotten older for some reason I seem to sunburn a LOT easier than when I was younger, and this solves it. I hate the spray-on type because it feels sticky all over my arms and face.

·
Breaker of Things
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Why not buy a house west of your place of work so you can ride east to work with your back to the sun?
:rofl: I was thinking that!!! Or closer!!!

Being a ginger, I burn by flashlight. ... I use Coppertone Sport, but it's failing me now, as I get older I think. It used to work perfectly.

Subscribing

·
Registered
341 Posts
go to AFXHELMETS.COM they make very light 1/2 helmets with flip down visors that fit inside the helmet, like a fighter pilot.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
:rofl: I was thinking that!!! Or closer!!!

Being a ginger, I burn by flashlight. ... I use Coppertone Sport, but it's failing me now, as I get older I think. It used to work perfectly.

Subscribing

Ha! You get burned like I get poison ivy. I car drive by in the truck with the windows rolled up but if I see it on a tree... I got poison ivy. Although I now have the best relief for poison ivy poison oak. I refer people to it when they get the itch. It Works. Oh and I use Coppertone Sport 15, I want a little color. From what I understand SPF 30 or 50 is only a few percent stronger than 15 so why pay more for nothing?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do these Super High numbers really give you more protection?

The answer is YES and NO

YES - you can stay out longer without getting burned – Provided you put on enough in the first place.

NO - Most people don’t apply as much sunscreen as recommended or needed, thus making an SPF-30 work more like an SPF-15. If you only start with an SPF-15, it’s more like an SPF-5.

SPF-15-30-50 Guide:

•15- 1/15 of the UVB rays get through to your skin - blocking about 93%.

•30- 1/30 of the UVB rays get through to your skin - blocking about 97%.

•50- 1/50 of the UVB rays get through to your skin - blocking about 98%.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Helmet with a face shield.
Very few plastic face shields screen out UV -- I don't know of any, actually. I've had many a sunburn while wearing a full-face helmet. Maybe car window tint material applied to a face shield...?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts