Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Former Lurker
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
Been searching through the cleaning threads... and not finding quite what I was looking for...
Finally got the wife out on the new ultra for a quick ride and she got boot scuff marks all over the bag lids...

I have been using Mequiars Ultimate synthetic wax and it is tough, easy to apply and looks great.

It did not however do anything to remove the the boot marks.
I think it actually left a little rubber behind.(Boots not the wax)
I don't want to damage the finish.
On past bikes I have just used a rubbing compound (Dupont polishing compund to be exact) for tough scuffs and then re-wax the area, but as I said I don't want to dull this fancy new paint if there is an easy or more gentle fix.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Good day,
Been searching through the cleaning threads... and not finding quite what I was looking for...
Finally got the wife out on the new ultra for a quick ride and she got boot scuff marks all over the bag lids...

I have been using Mequiars Ultimate synthetic wax and it is tough, easy to apply and looks great.

It did not however do anything to remove the the boot marks.
I think it actually left a little rubber behind.(Boots not the wax)
I don't want to damage the finish.
On past bikes I have just used a rubbing compound (Dupont polishing compund to be exact) for tough scuffs and then re-wax the area, but as I said I don't want to dull this fancy new paint if there is an easy or more gentle fix.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
You could try a Clay Bar first, then make the wife wax the whole bike, teach a little lesson . :)

:coffee:

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
A finishing compound should work without dulling the finish at all. Rubbing compound has a more abrasive effect than the finishing compound. Of course re-wax when done. You also might get lucky with a little Goof-Off which leaves an oil residue so you will need to wash and wax when done.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I use mothers products with good success. I have used a scratch remover for clear coats then follow up with their cleaner wax. My wife has done the same thing in addition to lightly scratching the clear coat near the saddle bag latches with her finger nails. May try that, I have had success using those products. I'm sure there is other products out there to. Good Luck, :)

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
I don't know if it will remove boot scuff marks but I have used Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound to remove some blemishes out of my Big Blue Pearl paint. No swirls or anything detrimental--took out the blemishes that wax and a cleaner wax wouldn't then I waxed over the spots.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would try HD boot mark remover for pipes. I used it recently as I got it for free, and it works really well.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Go to lowes or Home Depot and buy a small can of "goof off". Put a small amount on a micro fiber cloth and just rub lightly in a circling motion. It will come right off.
Reapply wax after.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If the paint is new, I would not use a compound of any sort -- they use grit of varying fineness and can dull the spot. Goof-off (solvent) or clay bar at the most, then re-wax, would be my choice.

--

·
Former Lurker
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn , my wife has never rubbed the paint and she's 5' 2". Maybe you need a little class on how to get on and off .
She's 60 next month and no longer takes training well. (I have tried all kinds...)
After 3 neck surgeries, I am lucky to get her on the bike at all...

I think I'll try the clay or the light solvents. I don't want an abrasive (rubbing or polishing compounds.)

What is goof off?
Is it like gojo? A hand cleaner or what??
Thanks.

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
It's a bike I assume you purchased to ride? If so don't worry about it and ride it. I have rub marks on the left side bag and my tourpak below the rack, still drives the same.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It's a solvent. Don't use hand cleaner, it has grit. Maybe a little Dawn or other dishwashing liquid. But use a soft microfiber cloth, not terry cloth, nor paper towel.

--

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Maybe you need to consider the bag lid protector covers.

--

·
Registered
926 Posts
Like was said above, try Goof off. I used it this spring to get some paint off of black denim. Can't even see where it was.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Turtle wax rubbing compound.

·
Registered
272 Posts
+1 on the Goof Off. Will do the trick. Took some black marks off my bike from the solvent that is used right before laying down blacktop on a resurfaced highway. Nasty stuff.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I use Maguire's scratch remover. Mild grit, works fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts