Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I almost always do my own work. But when you talk the dealership into a free 10,000 mile service as a condition of purchase, why not?
So I did that, bike was oiled and lubed and possibly touched inappropriately but “No!”, “Don’t!”, “Stop!” may have actually been heard as “No, don’t stop!”
So after I got my freshly violated bike back from the dirty b*stards at the stealership I started hearing a pathetic metallic rattle right around the lower front jug area of the primary jingle doodle when I started the bike this morning! Whaaaaat the fuuuuuuuuh?!
Fast forward a day...
After putting the entire primary back together per Haynes/clymer/YouTube specifications I started the bike to hear the same g*ddam rattle. Maybe even louder. I don’t know.
Oh MMMANN you better believe I was pisssst!
I was about to show the dealership who the f*cking man was (basically by calling and speaking with the service department about the issue and asking, politely, if I could bring it in and have it looked at really quickly pretty please) when... ok... enough...

Check your floorboards for loose nuts and bolts. All I have to say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering if the rattling didn't go away when the OP put their feet on the floorboards ? That would have been a dead giveaway !
But here’s the thing... I didn’t put my feet on the floorboards because why would I ride with a primary noise like what I heard? I know some people hope the monster will go away if they close their eyes and count to 10 but not me.
So one thing I considered is this... based on posts all over the internet, people get this sound when they start the bike. Then the sound comes back while they are riding but only pull in the clutch.
People suggest bad compensator bearing or loose nuts Etc. Some suggest you can’t hear it over the engine but when it is at idle as with the clutch disengaged or in neutral the motor is obviously not as loud.
Well, when you start the bike, you let it run without your feet on the floorboard. Then you kick it in gear, your foot goes back on the board, sound stops. You pull in the clutch and hear the sound again... but in a fluid motion you are lifting your foot from the floorboard to change gears. Makes sense.
if I service my bike I drain the primary and remove the outer cover. It’s just how I do it.I also remove the floorboardscrew and loosen another to swing it out of the way.

so yeah... if I would have put my foot on the floor board I would have noticed it. And I noticed it at start up in the morning so didn’t ride the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts