Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi most of my riding so far has been on a sport bike, a Honda VFR, which had rider footpeg and controls directly beneath the rider.

I am planning to get my first Harley, most likely a new Fat Bob if the finances line up.

I have a simple question, is the foot control placement a factory option? Do they come with forward, middle and rear options? I mean can I go to a dealer and ask for a dyna with rear, mid or forward controls?

And if not, what are the mod possibilities? Are there aftermarket or HD options for the fatbob or other dynas?

I am 5 7 and I wonder if controls that are too far forward could be problem for me. For me the natural choice would be to go with controls as rear as possible, since that is what I am used to from my sporbiking days. But honestly a bit forward controls look like they would be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks
Ddreamer

·
Registered
38,921 Posts
The only Dyna I know of that you can order with either style of pegs is the Street Bob.

You can fit mid pegs on a Fat Bob, but in addition to the foot peg hardware, you would also have to replace both the inner and outer primary due to the missing shifter shaft hole that runs thru both on the mid control models. But the bosses on the frame to mount mid controls are there.... just nothing bolted to them.

Best setup I had was mid pegs+controls, with highway pegs. You can still operate the mid mounted controls without moving your feet off the highway pegs.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The Fat Bob comes from the factory with forword controls on it. I am sure that if you wanted mid controls, the dealership could have them put on.....for a price. As for rear control, I have not seen or heard of a single HD with rear controls. Try setting on a Fat Bob and see how it feels. You can alway have a reduced reach seat added to move you forward a bit to give you a better foothold on the pegs.

Riding for longer distances with your legs stretched out in front of you vs. curled up under/behind you is way more comfortable for the long haul.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi most of my riding so far has been on a sport bike, a Honda VFR, which had rider footpeg and controls directly beneath the rider.

I am planning to get my first Harley, most likely a new Fat Bob if the finances line up.

I have a simple question, is the foot control placement a factory option? Do they come with forward, middle and rear options? I mean can I go to a dealer and ask for a dyna with rear, mid or forward controls?

And if not, what are the mod possibilities? Are there aftermarket or HD options for the fatbob or other dynas?

I am 5 7 and I wonder if controls that are too far forward could be problem for me. For me the natural choice would be to go with controls as rear as possible, since that is what I am used to from my sporbiking days. But honestly a bit forward controls look like they would be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks
Ddreamer
The Super Glide and the Street Bob both come with mids. I plan to get forwards for my Super Glide because I'm 6'4 and have a 36" inseam. But I would keep the mids if I weren't quite so tall.

Lots of options available through Harley's parts department for the Dynas, including the Fat Bob. Especially 2006 and later bikes. I don't have the catalog with me, as I am at work, but they offer reduced reach forward controls in the HD catalog, and I'm pretty sure that they offer mids, but I don't want say for certain until I get home and can check.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I have a Fat Bob and I'm about your height. I put the reduced reach forward control set up on it but, I may be taking it off, once I got used to the bike, I find myself always sitting as far back as I can get.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
For me the natural choice would be to go with controls as rear as possible, since that is what I am used to from my sporbiking days. But honestly a bit forward controls look like they would be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks
Ddreamer[/QUOTE]

Whatever you may be used to from your sportbiking days--you will get over it in just a couple of days.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I chose the Street Bob because I needed mid controls. Have ridden that style all my life (over 45 years now) and just couldn't deal with forward controls though most Harley guys like them. To get 'mids' on a Black Line was going to be a major pain. I like the Street Bob better anyway.

If you're used to a mid/rear control bike, and like to 'ride' the bike in corners, I'd go with the mids. I just don't feel comfortable, or maybe as confident, with the forward units but that's just me. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am seeing a lot of awesome looking Street Bobs in this forum

I wonder what would cost more:
- a new fat bob with a mid control mod
- a new street bob with added drag bars and passanger seat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I answered my own question using the H-D1 website.

The Street Bob would still be more affordable after adding drag bars, wheels, seat and engine upgrade to 103.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts